Budget speakers for cheap system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by 273K, Dec 6, 2018.

1. 273K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    I'm trying to chose bookshelf speakers to go with a Panasonic SAPMX82 (Panasonic SAPMX82 (Black)). I realise this isn't going to give me the best sound but I'm limited by the space available (and budget) for the foreseeable and we urgently need to get the xmas tunes going!
    Speakers will sit on the mantelpiece or a shelf or possibly wall brackets. I don't have room for proper stands. The room is roughly 3x4m with 2m ceiling height.
    I'm looking at the under £100-£150 range. My current shortlist is:
    • Cambridge Audio SX50
    • Tannoy Mercury 7.2
    • Mission LX1
    • Mission LX2
    • Q Acoustic 3020
    • Wharfedale Diamond 220
    • Dali Zensor 1
    • Dali Zensor pico
    At the moment from reading reviews I'm considering between the QA 3020 (seem to be best reviewed), diamond 220 (well reviewed and I've had Wharfedale speakers in the past) and Zensor pico (good review, small and look good). Any others I should consider?
    I don't really have the time or inclination to listen before buying, but might do if it's the only way to chose between 2 or 3 options.

I'm not a massive audiophile but I'd say I'm after a natural/neutral sound and am sensitive to bass which sounds too "heavy" and out of sync (iygwim) and harsh treble. I listen to all types of music except edm (apart from a bit of Aphex twin/Autechre and similar) and metal (nothing heavier than Foo Fighters/Muse). Mainly blues, jazz, classical, pop, rock/indie, hip hop on CD or Spotify (via chrome audio or similar).

Any advice gratefully received!

2. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    If you haven’t bought it yet I’d reconsider the Panasonic.

It’s power output is claimed as 60W into 3 ohms.

That is poor by any standards, it’s hard to imagine it not clipping most speakers at any hint of volume.

If you’ve already bought it and can return it then I’d suggest either of these two bundles. Good discounts and altogether more grown up sound.

Denon DM41 DAB (Silver) & Q Acoustics 3010 (Matte Graphite)

Denon DM41 & Mission LX2

Or, if you can stretch to it then this bundle is damn good. And it has a real world amplifier too. The best of the lot by a decent margin.

Cambridge Audio One (Black) and Mordaunt Short M10 (Black)

3. 273K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    Thanks, no haven't bought anything yet, was planning to this weekend. I did originally look at the dm-41 but fell down a rabbit hole comparing speakers. Seems to me the Cambridge audio one is the better player but the mission lx2 are better speakers? The M10 seem to be at the low budget end and I'm not sure about the Q3010 as they are quite an old model now?

4. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    The 3010s are still well respected speakers, and for that price as a bundle you’ll not do better.

It’s sometimes, frequently in fact, a bit of a myth that a new model speaker is leagues ahead of its precursor.

Even Side by side it will usually be difficult to tell them apart.

For your budget, the Denon and the Qs will be pretty good indeed.

The LX2 are lauded everywhere. They’d probably be my choice.

If you could talk the salefellow into a good price on the CA mini and the Missions, the MX1s will work well in your room too, (perhaps even better as the 2s could conceivably be too bassy for you) then I think you’d be delighted.

But, if not, then the Denons are also a well respected machine. They’ve been best sellers for more than ten years for a good reason.

5. 273K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    Interesting, thanks. Between those 3 the dm41+ q3010 looks good budget wise then. On the other hand the base price for the ca one is 349 so that bundle with the m10s the speakers are effectively free which seems like a good deal even if they're not top of the range. I don't think I can justify spending much above that to get the ca+missions.

6. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Whatever you get from those choices I agree, it will be better than the Panasonic!

7. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Any good at haggling?

Worth a try, especially at RS. Read up on haggling tips first:

Haggle on the high street

The least you'll get is speaker cable thrown in for free - so long as you follow the tips.

8. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Always worth a try. Especially at Richer Sounds. A great set up, but they are box shifters.

That’s what they’ve done since day one.

I’d be very surprised if you couldn’t get the LX1 (the LX2 would be a much taller order, but worth asking nonetheless) and the Mini for the same price as the Mini and MS speakers.

Also bear in mind that the MS aren’t poor speakers. They are inexpensive, but still worthy as a starter pair.

And the Mini is quite capable of driving speakers comfortably above your current price range should you decide a few years down the line to upgrade to around the £400-£500 mark for speakers.

Good luck.

9. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
  10. 273K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    Yeh am up for a haggle, was planning to buy online as I can't get to a store this weekend but might try calling the phone sales.

Cheers, I'll try my luck with RS then, prefer new but second hand I'd consider off the forum classifieds, but not eBay. Long term I was planning to eventually go back to proper separates (again relatively low end), but do you think the CA + quality speakers would be as good?

11. Jodel

Jodel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    RS are currently showing the Diamond 220's at £119.00. Wharfedale DIAMOND 220 (Black)

I have a pair of these on my office PC system and they seem pretty reasonable to my ears.