1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

budget speaker advise please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ZAMM, Feb 11, 2003.

1. ZAMM

ZAMM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently looking at upgrading my home cinema set up (I currently use a yamaha tss1).

I was originally planning on buying an AV amp for around £200, then speakers for about 300 a few months later when I can afford them. In the interim I had planned to use the speakers from the TSS with my new amp.

However I have now found out that the speakers are all 4ohm and 8watt. I am guessing that if I hook these to a 100wpc AV amp then I will get 5 little popping sounds and smoke in each corner of the room.

This is obviously not a desired outcome so I wanted to know if it is possible to get decent sound (at leaset improved sound) from a 300 quid set of speakers hooked to the TSS decoder. And what your suggestions were for speaker sets. Given that they will be hooked to an decent AV amp at a later date. (Probably a yammie 430 or 5540, or a pioneer 810.

The decoder has output per channel of 6W(1kHz, 4ohms, 10% THD,) the sub managing a whole 18W. The frequency response is 40Hz-20kHz.

Thanks for your help.