1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget speaker advice ...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by unrealrocks, Nov 7, 2003.

1. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - thought I'd just post this all in one post ...

First off - I've seen the KEF Cresta 1s for £30 (HyperFi), there 5 star What HiFi so suddenly became quite interested ... What are they like? (They'd be running with the system in the sig)

Also had an offer of 2nd hand Eltax Monitor IIIs for £40 a pair - first off is that a good deal. 2nd, would they be better than the KEFs?

I'm wanting to basically replace my floorstanding speakers with smaller speakers as I'm tripping over my floorstanders if there set out in a good stereo position! I know both of these would prob be worse than my Warfdales but I wanna know how worse:cool:

Thanks!

2. Ronak-T

Ronak-T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asking questions like this isn't going to help you much mate, you are going to get as many opinions as there are speakers. Try and get a dealer to lend you a pair of speakers that you are considering, and try then at home, on a decent pair of stands.

People may be able to give you their opinion, but the speakers will not be connected to the same kit as you with the same cables, and not in a room identical to yours, all these will have an impact on the sound. And at the end of the day it's someone else's opinion, not yours!

My advise (now completely contradicting what I've just said) is check out Mission's speakers. I had a pair of 731i (I think) a while ago, and in my opinion Mission make cracking small speakers. Spending £120 as opposed to £30 will make a huge difference.

Finally, treat magazine reviews as a starting point not as a bible. Your interest should not suddenly be increased just because a magazine has given it 5 stars.

Ronak.

3. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As the guy said above you are just going to get alot of opinions and be more confused about what speaker to get than if you hadn't posted.

What is your top price range?
    The answer to the above will limit the number of speakers down and then if you did your own research you could get down to a fav. 3 of which you could try and get demos.
    Personally I would never buy second hand and you don't know how they have been treated, not that anyone would damage a speaker I doubt, but I would never take the risk...

As I said if you give us a price I will be more than happy to advise you further...

4. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If u must spend peanuts then u cant go wrong with the mission m71i's which are at a super bargain price of £50 in black at richersounds.Even the non 'I' version sounded pretty good.Make sure you get decent stands to drain them for max performance.Blu tak them down too to firm up the bass.

Zoolander