Budget Soundbar

Robd263

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

New to the forum, and know nothing AV, so please go easy.

I have a Samsung SM8050 55 inch. The speakers are rubbish. I want to add a soundbar to improve this.

I have three young kids who fiddle with everything, so things don't last. This means at this point I can't justify spending too much.

I have a million questions, (such as how does DTX or Atmos work, is it worth it etc) but I'll try to keep it brief.

Most viewing is spent watching films and series on Netflix and Prime. This is what I want to improve.

My budget is ideal £200. Push to £250 if it's really worth it.

The room is roughly 3.6 metres squared.

I don't really know whether it's worth sticking with LG because the TV is LG? Nor whether a sub is worth while.

So I guess my overall question is, what would you recommend? It's a minefield out there.

Three I've got in my sights are the JBL 2.0 all in one, Sony x8500 and Wharfdale Vista 200s. But I'm not wedded to any of these, and more than happy to consider anything.

Thanks in advance, and if any more info from me would be useful, let me know.

I don't want to overcomplicate things, and I'm not overly techy. I just want something that sounds as good as possible for my budget.

Cheers

Rob

Hi

New to the forum, and know nothing AV, so please go easy.

I have a Samsung SM8050 55 inch. The speakers are rubbish. I want to add a soundbar to improve this.

I have three young kids who fiddle with everything, so things don't last. This means at this point I can't justify spending too much.

I have a million questions, (such as how does DTX or Atmos work, is it worth it etc) but I'll try to keep it brief.

Most viewing is spent watching films and series on Netflix and Prime. This is what I want to improve.

My budget is ideal £200. Push to £250 if it's really worth it.

The room is roughly 3.6 metres squared.

I don't really know whether it's worth sticking with LG because the TV is LG? Nor whether a sub is worth while.

So I guess my overall question is, what would you recommend? It's a minefield out there.

Three I've got in my sights are the JBL 2.0 all in one, Sony x8500 and Wharfdale Vista 200s. But I'm not wedded to any of these, and more than happy to consider anything.

Thanks in advance, and if any more info from me would be useful, let me know.

I don't want to overcomplicate things, and I'm not overly techy. I just want something that sounds as good as possible for my budget.

Cheers

Rob
I would have a good look at the jbl and wharfedale as well as Yamahas in your price range , forget atmos it wount work at all well unless you are spending 700 as a minimum, sell kids buy adults promblem solved.

I have the Sony HT-X8500 sound bar and really like it. It has decent sound quality and, IMO, and excellent soundstage. I bought it because I didn’t want to spend too much and did not want a separate sub. Was apprehensive that the bar might not have a full range of sound and enough bass but was pleased and relieved once I had it up and running.

I also have a 55” Samsung on a stand and this is just the right size to sit on a stand in front of the tv.

Last edited:
See the Sony in my sig, for £250 it is well spec'd..

How about a Yamaha YAS 109 at £249 i believe

Thanks for the replies all. I can't find the yamaha mentioned above for less than £259 and stock is limited.

I think I have it down to three I like. The wharfedale 200s, the Sony x8500 and I can get the Samsung HW550 for £225 through a work discount scheme.

What would be the advantages / disadvantages or each of these? They all seem to have hdmi arc. Which I'd like. I know the Sony doesn't have a sub but reviews I've read don't seem to consider this an issue. Any thoughts on these three and which you would go for would be much appreciated.

Rob

Thanks for the replies all. I can't find the yamaha mentioned above for less than £259 and stock is limited.

I think I have it down to three I like. The wharfedale 200s, the Sony x8500 and I can get the Samsung HW550 for £225 through a work discount scheme.

What would be the advantages / disadvantages or each of these? They all seem to have hdmi arc. Which I'd like. I know the Sony doesn't have a sub but reviews I've read don't seem to consider this an issue. Any thoughts on these three and which you would go for would be much appreciated.

Rob
THE SAMSUNG AS FAR AS I AM AWARE DOES NOT HAVE A SUB EITHER? i dont think the 550 has a center channel either its big brother the 650 does and is an excellent soundbar ( i owned one sometime ago) the 550 is quite a few years old now in samsungs line up.
for pure audio quality the wharfedale will take some beating at the price.

THE SAMSUNG AS FAR AS I AM AWARE DOES NOT HAVE A SUB EITHER? i dont think the 550 has a center channel either its big brother the 650 does and is an excellent soundbar ( i owned one sometime ago) the 550 is quite a few years old now in samsungs line up.
for pure audio quality the wharfedale will take some beating at the price.

Hi Keith

I got the model wrong on the Samsung. The work deals I can get are:

Samsung T420 2.1ch Soundbar with Wired Subwoofer - £180
Samsung T550 2.1ch Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer - £224
Samsung Q60T 5.1ch Cinematic Soundbar - £269 (bit more than I wanted to pay)

Hi Keith

I got the model wrong on the Samsung. The work deals I can get are:

Samsung T420 2.1ch Soundbar with Wired Subwoofer - £180
Samsung T550 2.1ch Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer - £224
Samsung Q60T 5.1ch Cinematic Soundbar - £269 (bit more than I wanted to pay)
appreciate funds but if you can stretch the q60 is worth it.

Thanks. Is the Q60 worth the additional £70 over the Whafedale? It didnt get particularly glowing reviews from Which? TechRadar or Rtings.

Thanks. Is the Q60 worth the additional £70 over the Whafedale? It didnt get particularly glowing reviews from Which? TechRadar or Rtings.
it as always comes down to personnel preferences. You would need to listen to your choices and make up your own mind.

That's the issue. Given lockdown, I doubt I'll have the chance to go into a shop or listen to any of these for at least a couple more months. That's why I'm after opinions here really. It will be an online order, or click and collect. And given that all I have to go on will be reviews and advice, it's a tough decision.

That's the issue. Given lockdown, I doubt I'll have the chance to go into a shop or listen to any of these for at least a couple more months. That's why I'm after opinions here really. It will be an online order, or click and collect. And given that all I have to go on will be reviews and advice, it's a tough decision.
well if you order online and dont like your purchase in law you are allowed to return within 14 days, there is no best out there, just what you like, everyones opinions will be different, you are really asking questions that no one can answer for you, as all our ears are different.

I'm asking for people's personal opinions. I think people can answer that. I can than make my decision based on that, and other reviews I've read.

The P70w2 is worth a look

Thought I'd update this. Having changed the TV stand / cabinet, my options had to change due to dimensions.

I went with the Polk Signa S2 on recommendations from Richer Sounds. I have the option to return for free if I don't like it. And they discounted it to £220. So will see what it's like when I get it.

Does anyone have this bar and have any thoughts on it?

Thought I'd update this. Having changed the TV stand / cabinet, my options had to change due to dimensions.

I went with the Polk Signa S2 on recommendations from Richer Sounds. I have the option to return for free if I don't like it. And they discounted it to £220. So will see what it's like when I get it.

Does anyone have this bar and have any thoughts on it?
So how was the S2?, been reading this thread as im in the same situation for my father in law. I really like my Yamaha Yas-207 but thats out of his price range of £200 max £250

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom