Budget Sony ZD9? Is it possible?

Cocksure

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Sony 75ZD9 which was recommended to me by @Dodgexander (I have a shrine dedicated to him :laugh:) which is just amazing. Trouble is that I'm now spending a good chunk of my time living in elsewhere whilst I renovate my future house and I miss my ZD9. Until the house is done which will likely take 12 plus months, moving the ZD9 is an insane option.

The new place came with an Technika M50/57G-GB-FTCU-UK that I thought I could live with temporally (I cant) as I really notice the difference in picture quality, especially in contrast. Instead I'm hoping someone can give me a rough idea of how much I need to spend that will bring me as close as possible to the ZD9 for as cheap as possible :rolleyes:

I will be watching the TV face on so VA panel would be best, I have a sound bar for the sound so that side of things doesn't matter, after a 50 or 55 inch screen, HDR whilst nice I can live without, no gaming will happen on it, so just after the best picture quality possible for Non-HDR material. I do want it to be 4k though as I notice the Technika 1080p resolution (I sit close).

I did take a look at the which TV guide to buy on here, but everything is out of stock and I've no idea how much I need to spend in the 1st place. No point in spending X if it doesn't do the job. After the minimum for obvious reasons, but what is the minimum price :confused:

ha! your post made me laugh. Good to know someone, somewhere loves me! :D

Its nice to hear that you enjoy the TV, the ZD9 is certainly a great TV!
I'd consider the Sony 49XG9005 or Sony 55XF9005 as an interim solution, they will be a bit like mini-ZD9s without breaking the bank. They are also the first models in Sony's lineup to display HDR without trouble!

Thanks @Dodgexander :thumbsup: just like last time around with the ZD9, the Sony 49XG9005 is an clearance item at Sevenoaks Sound & Vision, at £649 its a no brainer and has just been reserved :) As to the ZD9, wow just wow.

Would you like your new shrine to be of solid Silver or Gold? :rotfl:

Last edited:
Probably copper or plastic is more suitable, that way it won't be too much loss when you decide to destroy it when one of your TVs goes wrong ;)

Copper it is then
1592976916243.gif

I’ve had to switch to the 55xf9005 as the tv I reserved at sevenoaks had already been sold :( when you factor in time etc it’s not worth the £100 saving to drive to another branch.

Thanks @Dodgexander for all your help once again :) and for giving 2 options :smashin:

Last edited:
Oh great and wonderful @Dodgexander hear thy pray :rotfl: OK enough backside kissing :)

Help, I just can't bring myself to buy either model :( having spent the past week trying to find somewhere that can deliver them at a date that works (my new place though 150 years old isn't on the postal system! so I have to work with when I'm up at the "old") it's given me lots of time to think.

Whilst I like the backlight local dimming design on the 55XF9005 & 49XG9005, it's a mere 40 to 60 zones (yes I know how bad that sounds), compared to my current 700 ish zones it's an edge-lit tv for me (sounds really bad now :confused:)

How about I push the budget to around £1500? I am tempted to look at going for an OLED say Sony 55AG8 but will bow to your knowledge as always. The TV will be used 99% for the like of Amazon & Netflicks. Its black levels and shadow details that has me the most concerned over brightness. The ZD9 with all its zones is amazing (whilst also being bright), out of the two shadow detail is the more important in this case as UHD Blu-rays will be saved to I'm back with the ZD9.

Go for the Panasonic GZ950 which has recently been reduced to sub 1k. Its shadow detail is the best you'll find from an OLED. Next best would be the LG C9.

The Sony AG8 is also a good option, also recently reduced..but I feel like their OLEDs are a bit behind compared to others. They focus more on integrated sound...although having good integrated sound may be useful for you?

The GZ950 is really the best option for an enthusiast, whilst the C9 is the best all-round and most future proof.

Brillant, thanks once again @Dodgexander :smashin: :clap::thumbsup:

The 55GZ950 ticks all the boxes without breaking the bank, just got to work out a delivery/collection date now... :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom