Budget Software/App?

joel88

Novice Member
Anyone know a decent budget piece of software, or maybe an Android app?

I've got a basic spreadsheet going that i've had for years, to keep track of bills, but i'd like to take it to the next step - full speading diary etc!!

nheather

Distinguished Member
Took me a little while to click - you want software that does budgetting, not budget software.

Cheers,

Nigel

nacmacfeegle

Documents to Go for Iphone allows you to import, edit, and synch Excel, word, powerpoint etc, there is an Android version available as well.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
When MS discontinued Money they made a free, unsupported version available for download. May be worth a look.

Download: Money Plus Sunset Home and Business - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
I use MoneyPlus. In fact, I've used Money for many years, right back to Windows 95. I looked for alternatives when Microsoft stopped supporting it, but couldn't find anything which came close. Then out of the blue I discovered MoneyPlus, which isn't heavily publicised.

It may be a little over-complex for what I imagine the OP is looking for, but it's well worth a try.

joel88

Novice Member
Tried out Money Plus. Maybe a bit too much for my needs, but might take another look tomorrow.

Cheers guys

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
What features do you need? Spending by month/category, remaining spending etc would all be pretty easy in Excel.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
What features do you need? Spending by month/category, remaining spending etc would all be pretty easy in Excel.
I agree. However, the problem always is actually getting the figures into the system. Whatever you do, you're going to have to add up the various expenditures and post them into the computer.

With Excel, you could simply have the categories and/or accounts you want, work out the totals on Calculator and copy'n'paste them in. It's then relatively easy to produce the analyses, so long as you're au fait with Excel macros and/or VB.

Money allows you to do that at that level, but it also lets you enter every single transaction into every account, and then do any analysis you want. This is made much simpler by what Money calls 'Bills', where you set up recurring transactions which are posted into the accounts whenever they become due. All you have to do is change the amount, if necessary. This is extremely useful for forecasting end-of-month account balances.

I don't use the Money Budgets facility, but it is very good. You could use Money for budgets only if you want.

Set up properly (and that does require a bit of work, though you can change it as much as you like later), Money will allow you to handle your information at the transaction level with little more effort than posting into Excel.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom