Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Budget Sleek LCD TV for Bedroom

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by crazyfool, Aug 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. crazyfool

crazyfool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'd like to buy a flatscreen tv to put on the wall in my bedroom, don't want to spend more than £250 and want it to be the best I can get for the money. I'm more interested in something which is very stylish and minimalist and looks more expensive than it is :)

Any suggestions on models, makes or merchants to buy it from?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been looking for a small LCD for the bedroom as a way of introduction into LCD TV's. I've given up on the big ones for the moment as I'm not sure which way to go and what features I need. Well I though small would be less problematic, well how wrong can I be? Firstly they come two screen formats 4:3 Normal or wide screen.

17” appear to come in both formats.
    20” I’ve only seen 4:3 format (well under £350 bracket).

Now if you intend to watch DVD’s in wide screen format most of the time then 17” wide screen will display roughly the same size picture to that of 20” 4:3 screen as it will only use part of the screen. Another issue is the inputs, Scart, rf etc. The low budget screens seem to be very limited only usually have one Scart and one composite input other than RF in at best. So if you plan to connect a freeview receiver, xbox and a DVD player you may have some problems. Yet another issue is that the pixel resolution can either be 640x480 or 800x600. This is the bit I really can’t get to grips with, 640x480 is more than ok for normal TV watching, but I can’t see the reason for 800x600 so perhaps somebody could tell me?

The other thing I’ve noticed doing my rounds (Currys, Comet etc) they all seem to display reasonable pictures fed from DVD or TV. I think the errors are less visible on these size screens and therefore less noticeable. Also the cost saving by buying over Wibbly - Wobbly - Web is minimal and companies like Argos don’t deliver screens this size and you have to pick them up from the shop.

My current short listing the following, based on watching normal TV not DVD:-

Toshiba 20VL44G £330
    Samsung LE20S51B £318
    Beko 20LB450 £229
    Samsung LW-20M11C £309
    Wharfdale 20” 529/0592 Argos £379 (but it has freeview!)
    Relisys RLT2000 £302

The Relisys RLT2000 is my choice at present. I know these are above your budget, but you may be able to stretch a bit?

Manufacturer Relisys
    Part Number RLT2000
    LCD Panel 20" TFT-LCD
    Aspect Ratio 4:3
    Pixel Pitch 0.51mm x 0.51mm
    Native Resolution 800x600, SVGA, 0.5 Mega Pixels
    Contrast Ratio 500 : 1
    Brightness 500cd/m2
    Display Colours 16.7 Million Colours
    Response Time 16 ms
    Viewing Angle 160 degrees (Horizontal and Vertical)
    HDTV Compliant n / a
    Output Audio Woofer out (RCA)
    Input RGB Analogue, Composite Video, S-Video, SCART, RF TV
    Audio Input RCA (L/R) x 2
    Audio Yes, 2.5W per Channel
    Colour of LCD TV Available in Silver
    Dimensions 622 x 473.5 x 257.2 mm
    Accessories VGA Cable, Video/Audio Cable, AC Cable, AC Adaptor, IR Remote Control, 2 x AAA Batteries
    Weight 12.0Kg
    Features Fastext Teletext, Channel Edit, OSD Menu, Tilt, VESA Wall Mount, Aspect Ratio Transistion, Sleep Timer, NICAM Stereo Speakers, Anti-Glare Coat, 4H Digital Comb Filter, 3:2 & 2:2 Pull Down, Carry Handle, Kensington Lock, Picture in Picture (PIP), VESA DPMS
    *PIP only works when Computer Input is displayed in the background

:thumbsup:
    http://www.kelteccameras.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1108

3. crazyfool

crazyfool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a brilliant reply and very useful thank you. I will take a look at the tvs you have mentioned.