Budget Setup help - NOOB!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chrisba, Jan 21, 2008.

1. chrisba

chrisba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hello people, ive just started setting up a budget (basic) av system and need some help/advice!! :lease:

Ive bought:

32" HDTV
    XBOX 360
    MEDIA CENTRE PC (with 500gb HDD)
    V+ BOX

but currently have no audio system what so ever! :eek:

After buying all the above i am seriously skint and am saving to buy a house so probably wont be allowed to spend much money for the forseable future!! :suicide:

Just need some advice on buying an audio system that i could run the tv/v+ box/xbox AND PC through. Like i said im on a major budget and really cant spend more than £100 all in.

Ive been looking at systems like the one below but im pretty sure this wont run everything? Maybe im wrong! Like i said, im a total NOOB!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126903

Any advice, MUCH appreciated.

Cheers! :hiya:

2. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    If I were you mate, (baring in mind you have not specified whether you want surround sound etc) I would post a wanted ad on here or scour ebay looking for a cheap second hand stereo set, get something like a Rotel 931 amp and a pair of speakers (I have seen MS902s around the £50 mark) and go for a decent stereo set. The alternative is to buy a cheap surround amp and add speakers to that but the sound really wont be up to much.

3. chrisba

chrisba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Would i be able to play sound from my pc as well as tv/xbox with what you recommended though?

4. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    yes you would have to use phono cables to connect it all together - you normally get a cd input, a tape input and a line input, sometimes you get 2 tape inputs meaning you can connect at least 3 different devices to your amp. The quality of sound will far out-strip anything you get from ebuyer

5. chrisba

chrisba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  6. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Depending on what you are after......the amp you have linked to is very good for the money although it appears to have been sold. Depends on what you listen to it for the most really, the link you sent is a 5.1 Surround Sound Amplifier meaning that quality on it wont be as good as a stereo amp (I personally have found the biggest difference to be the amount of bass output from a set of stereo speakers versus a stereo amp) although you have the advantage of being able to add to it later and enjoying surround sound.
    I suggest you get this and there is a £5 discount on postage at the moment using the promotion code Cheers1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAMBRIDGE-AUD...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    It is very well reviewed and as you can tell VERY cheap allowing you to get some decent speakers :thumbsup:

7. chrisba

chrisba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

I think im almost starting to understand now....LOL

If i was to buy that cambridge audio amp, how many speakers would i be able to add now/in the future?

Can you recommend any speakers that would match well with that amp? Black preferably!!

Thanks again for your help! :thumbsup:

8. chrisba

chrisba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  9. Pace3000

Pace3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you looking to eventually go surround sound? If so, do you think you'll have a bigger budget?

Good advice there, but another option (that I did), was to buy a surround sound receiver/amplifier with two front speakers to start off. I then added a middle speak and two rear speakers a bit later.

I hate replacing stuff though, I wanted to buy the best speakers I could afford, and then add to it later.

Sorry I don't really know kit too well, but just trying to help you find your path :thumbsup:

10. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    must be honest none of the speakers you mention are much kop - especially not the missions they are really bad, the KEFs aren't too bad.
    I THINK the amp I linked oyu can take 4 speakers, do a search on google and you will soon find out :) as your expansion really depends on your requirements, if you want sound quality stick to stereo kit for the time being, if you are looking for sound immersion look for an AV amp. I must admit though, for the budget you have you wont get a surround amp worth expanding upon IMHO. Personally I would stick to a stereo AKA 2 speaker system and wait until you have the money to really indulge yourself on a surround system that you really can expand upon.:smashin: