Budget set Advice

aespel

I am currently looking to upgrade my existing set, and looking at budget models. Eventually it seems to come down between the Sony X750h 65" on a stand or going slightly bigger for wallmounting with a budget 70" LG model either 7380 or 7550. Am I right in assuming that both of them will have VA panels? Both of them are advertised with Magic Remote and have exactly the same cost currently in my location (South Africa). The Sony model is roughly the same cost as the 70" LG ones.

the 7550 seems to add hardware AV1 decoding good for future proofing and Im not very interested in gaming features. it seems to lose one HDMI and one USB compared to 7380 and power cable is attached to the set in 7550 but removable in 7380. I understand that both of them will also have Alexa and Google Assistant built in? Different WebOS versions also. There seem to be so many AI labelled options in both that it is kinda hard to track what the changes between TV versions are.

While I understand both LG models will be quite similar, what is the consensus on them are there any other subtle feature adds or subtracts I have missed?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Alberto

Dodgexander

70" size will definitely be VA, the Sony 75" should also be VA, but its more of an uncertainty wit this model because they also sell 75" TVs using IPS panels.

The Sony has google assistant built in, and can be treated as a smart speaker.
The LG is just a receptacle, in other words it does not act like a smart speaker, but can be controlled by a smart speaker.

Alexa on both TVs will be the same, it will work only as a receptacle. You need a branded Fire TV (or firestick/cube) for full Alexa integration.

Differences within the same range of TVs are typical very small. Anything with UN (2020), UP (2021) should be treated as the same picture quality, but only changes in small features or aesthetics.

I'm not sure on pricing or availability in South Africa but I'd imagine there should be alternatives. In Europe usually its between Hisense, TCL and Samsung if you want a VA panel. Whilst Sony tend to be pretty overpriced. LG do have some decent value options too in Europe, but usually you go for their TVs for IPS type panels at 65" and 75" size instead of 70". Niche panel sizes like 60, 70" etc can cost more money nowadays.

Will all depend on local pricing and availability.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom