1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget seperates, please help.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Frazal666, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. I know its the 3rd day of the year, but it's never too late too wish people a happy new year. So, Happy New Year!!! I need help with choosing separates. For now, I only need amplifer with at least 1 Phono in and a pair of decent speakers. I will use my DVD Player as a CD Player. I have a tight budget of £250, but if anything goes up to £300, please tell me, as I will save up the extra needed. I have looked at this for £220, I get Speakers, Amp, Cd player & DAB/FM Tuner - Argos Amp At the bottom is links to what else I get. Please, any help will be appreiciated.

2. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in the bass of the speakers, as I am a bass head. (Not that much, still care about quility of sound) If someone can, compare this to the Panny SCAK520Argos Panny SCAK520 , as I was planning on buying this until I had realized separates sound better (Apparantly).

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there such an amp that as minimum 1 phono in, 2 speaker out and one sub out? Sorry for all the posts.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Listen to a Rotel RA-01 :)

5. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read a Review on the Rotel RA-01, and it got a 5 star! :clap: My only problem, is that speakers to go with would probaly cost about the same, going out of my price range. Could you reccomend me any good speakers that will not go too over £250 including the amp. I will pay up to £300+, but prefer not. Looks really nice in silver. Thanks. :thumbsup:

6. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I'd be really tempted to get a Richer Sounds system, the first 3 fall approximately within your budget, and should sound OK. Looking at your link to Argos, I'd be more tempted to go for the Sony receiver, CD player and speakers, both the CD player and speakers are half price at the moment too, bonus! ;)

7. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently switched bedrooms with my mum(Im 14), as I like the view in my new bedroom. I want something that will go with my new stuff, when I get it... I dont rally like the speakers, and if I Buy a good looking speaker (Preferably silver) , I will go out of my limit, as my mums saving up for a new computer, as my old one (The one downstairs) is SH*T, and my mum needs to get a faster computer. Gotta admit, good deal, as the speakers would have gone with my old stlye, and the CD player and Reviever.amp looks really attractive to. I am about to look for better quility pictures for the 3 that you reccomended in richer sounds, and post if I like them or not. Thanks for looking out, I owe you one. :thumbsup:

8. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunatly, on the first, the amp kinda let me down. Cd player and speakers look quite interesting, but the amp is totally black, unlike the other components. (I did not look for speaker pics, as i saw pic of amp, and thought, nah...). The second, similer situation, and third, also similer situation. I have found a richer sounds near where i live, so I will go there, maybe the components look better up close, or maybe the sound will impress me. I know, im quite annoying. Imagine having me as a child... :rolleyes:

9. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, on the richer sounds amp section, what does it mean by speaker sets? Is it the number of speaker outs, cos some are 1, and connecting 1 speaer would be f'd up

10. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Just save up for the speakers after you get it :D

You could alternatively look on ebay for models such as the Rotel RA-931 mk2, RA-971 mk2, RA-972, but I'm not sure which of those, if any, have a phono stage. You could find speakers on there too....

11. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Some amps are capable of driving 2 sets (pairs) of speakers, whilst others can only power 1 set, but you'll only really need one stereo pair, so 1 'Speaker Set' would do.
    I assume you're after a silver setup, a lot of people seem to be impressed by the Denon (Kelkoo)or Teac (Kelkoo) mini separates, then add speakers of your choice (not many in silver!), could be worth a look.

12. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im about to go out, so when I come back, ill check for those amps. Thanks

13. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    speakers dont have to be silver, id go for beech, as some of my furniture is beech

14. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Preferd not to bid on ebay. Last time I bidded on a £147 exc Delivery & VAT Tower of Power JVC Mini, and got fruaded:mad: . Paypal insurance my fat homer Simpson-like ass. Anyway, enough bad memories, time to move on. Found a good amplifier and speaker at richer sounds. Amp- http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-A5-SIL, Speaker - http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MORD-902-AVANT-BLK. I will go to richer sounds and test next week. Before I do, could you tell me which speaker is better out of the following - http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MORD-902-AVANT-BLK and http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=2501&langId=-1&searchTerms=5127919. I would say the argos one, cos of 3 speakers and big woofers, as well as good wattage handling, but as you said there is much more to the speaker than they say, si I thought to consult your help. P.S., is there any other good sound shops? Ill look as well. Thanks.

15. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you if you're going to Richer Sounds to audition amp and speakers I'd audition the Denon DM31 as well (Broona mentioned it above). The CD playback will likely be much better quality than your DVD player and it's got some useful other stuff built in as well. I've heard it's comparable to budget systems in terms of sound quality although the people who own it will be able to tell you better than I can.

16. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, but I will buy it later. As long as I have somethin to produce sound for now, thats cool. Ill audition it, so that I can see if the amp + speakers are good, than ill now what CD player to get after I get a new PC

17. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is phono standard? This makes me a real oldie but I have a Shure magnetic cartridge (~1976) can this be plugged straight into a phono input withou a pre-amp?

18. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is phono stage?

20. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a phono stage means you can attach a record player if necessary :)