Answered Budget Secondhand Speakers

ciscoraz

Novice Member
Hello,

Was wondering if you could advise please? Relatively new to this game but certainly enjoying the music.

I have a simple setup Denon PMA-520AE with a Technics Turntable SL-BD22D FG. Using a pair of Sony floor standing speakers with one of them faulty. I have been looking at speakers on eBay, maximum spead is £100. I have seen:

Kef Q35
Wharfedale Dimond 10.3
Mission M73i

I'm not listening massively loud and the room is big (open plan kitchen and living room). Have read review and confused and was wondering if you could advise please?

Kind Regards,
CiscoRaz

Bryn1

Take a look for some TDL RTL2 on ebay, they can be had for under £100 and sound very good (they are quite old now but well worth the money just for their sound) or if you have the space and a bit of extra budget look at the TDL RTL3, both are built as transmission line type which give them both great deep clear bass whilst also being very clear on vocals etc I have had both models and loved them both

ciscoraz

Novice Member
Thanks Bryn1, read some reviews and is interesting, will add to my list, nothing less than 100 miles from me but will keep an eye out.

deantown

Distinguished Member
Wharfedale diamond 220’s well worth a look, I have them and they sound great with my Marantz cd/pm 6005. Good price too.

dogfonos

I'm not listening massively loud and the room is big
Whilst you may not listen at high volumes, too-small a speaker in a large space will usually give a lightened tonal balance at any volume, i.e. lack bass weight. Ideally, the speaker size should be determined by the room size to get an accurate tonal balance. In a large space where only part of the room is the listening area (i.e. the speaker-listener triangle), it's often tricky to determine ideal speaker size.

If you enjoyed the sound balance when using the Sony speakers (when they were both working properly), then maybe stick with speakers of similar size? Anything much smaller than the Sony will probably give a lighter sound, anything much bigger will give a bass-ier sound - generally speaking, though there may be exceptions.

rorackowe

Loved q35, sweet treble and mid but not sure about the driver longevity. Bass is soft. I found the RTL 2 bright upper frequencies, deep bass. I had NAD 804, very even tonal balance but like hen's teeth, also butt ugly vinyl wrap. Mission Cyrus 752 supposed to be excellent if you can find a pair in budget.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Loved q35, sweet treble and mid but not sure about the driver longevity. Bass is soft. I found the RTL 2 bright upper frequencies, deep bass. I had NAD 804, very even tonal balance but like hen's teeth, also butt ugly vinyl wrap. Mission Cyrus 752 supposed to be excellent if you can find a pair in budget.
I was going to suggest 752's when I looked at this thread earlier but checked ebay and only saw faulty ones for sale. I suspect if a mint pair came up they would be out of budget. I actually bought a pair new many years ago to replace some RTL's. I can't remember if they were RTL 2 or 3's but I had to get rid of them as the bass was way too overpowering for my room. I loved those Missions though.

wokeye

The Q35's are good speakers. My brother has Mission 752 Freedom speakers, these are better than the Kef's. I thought they were better than the Kef Q500's I used to have. The Q35's are really good for what they go for, and more common than than the Mission 752 and 752 Freedom's.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Similar to the TDL’s, the Sony SS176e floor standers got good reviews in their day and can be had for £50-75, the Brooklands special edition is usually nearer the £100 mark.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

ciscoraz

Novice Member
Adding the following to the list:

Wharfedale diamond 220 - (thanks Deantown)
TDL RTL2/3 - (thanks ugg10 and bryn1)
SonySS176e (thanks ugg10)

Kef Q35 (thanks for confirming rorackowe and Timmy C)
Wharfedale Dimond 10.3
Mission M73i

Kef Q5 - (above budget)

Dogfons - thanks for the info, I was considering bookshelf speakers on stands, but was concerned about them being too small. I’ll stick with the floor stand option.

Orobas

Re partnering the denon.. i'm always cautious with the denon sound as they are "voiced" for pop and are usually quite bright and forward so i would avoid any bright sounding / forward treble'd speaker.. TDL's are not too bad a match indeed for them. from what has been suggested so far.. thats about all i would partner the denon with. other candidates on the floor standing side i would look at also are.. Cambridge Audio's SX-80's or vintage KEF Cara SP3076's,

ciscoraz

Novice Member
Similar to the TDL’s, the Sony SS176e floor standers got good reviews in their day and can be had for £50-75, the Brooklands special edition is usually nearer the £100 mark.
Interestingly enough that’s the Sony speakers I mention in the opening question. I bought them for £30 and really have enjoyed them until one of the tweeters blew. Did investigate getting a replacement one but didn’t have any joy. Will keep them and keep an eye out for a replacement tweeter.

ciscoraz

Novice Member
Take a look for some TDL RTL2 on ebay, they can be had for under £100 and sound very good (they are quite old now but well worth the money just for their sound) or if you have the space and a bit of extra budget look at the TDL RTL3, both are built as transmission line type which give them both great deep clear bass whilst also being very clear on vocals etc I have had both models and loved them both
Ended up taking your advise after seeing a pair of TDL RTL3 locally for £80 (average condition and a lovey cherry colour that reminds me of MFI furniture). The bass is phenomenal, absolutely amazing. Really enjoying the experience, not sure about my neighbours those.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom