1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget scaling DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by drago.d, Dec 18, 2004.

1. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Help!
    I need your advice in choosing a well-priced DVD player to hook up to the surprise Christmas gift of a Vision 4230 42" plasma from Mrs. drago's employer!

I think the plasma would probably benefit from all the picture processing help it can get, so I'm wondering if there's a PAL compatible prog scan player that can scale it's output to whatever might be the optimum resolution for this screen? (one of the V. Inc players, maybe??) This way the screen's own picture processing would be doing as little as possible.

Is this route likely to deliver the best pic. the screen is capable of? Otherwise, any recommendations for a prog scan PAL player?

Native res. of the screen is 853 x 480, inputs available are component and D-SUB 15 pin VGA type (as well as the usual lower spec suspects).

all suggestions will be much appreciated :smashin:

drago.d

2. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Come on, guys!

Somebody must have a recommendation :lease:

cheers,

drago.d

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi.
    I have a Yamakawa 375, which I got from Computer Universe.net in Germany.
    It cost around £120 and it scales up to 1080i. It also does 480p, 576p and 720p. It is similar to the Momitsu player, which you can read up on if you do a search on these forums.
    To my eyes though, even through the dvi connection, I was getting a better (sharper) picture through my Toshiba 220e, which is about 2 years old.
    Hope this helps.

4. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that, mray.

Seeing as I only have component and D-SUB 15 pin inputs available, would this machine allow me to take advantage of it's scaling capability, or is that only going to be possible via DVI/HDMI?

cheers,

drago.d

5. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Yes it does! (Via component).
    But to me, all the different resolutions look the same, except 1080i, which has jerky movement.
    Maybe my eyes are not that good.

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I must correct my post above. I am now running 1080i@50hz and it's as smooth as silk. But I still think I get a better picture from the DMRE55 via scart, whatever settings I use on the upscaling player. It could have something to do with my TV, which recommends RGB scart as the preferred connection method.

7. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After consulting the importer/distibutor's Tech Support regarding progressive PAL compatability, and a couple of weeks (Christmas and New Year got in the way, too!) putting a 2" wide conduit into the wall for the cabling and redecorating, I took the plunge today and bought a Pio 575 with progressive PAL.

Shock Horror! It would appear after all that the plasma can't accept a progressive signal via it's component input :eek:

When I try progressive out on the Pio, I get a messed up double image on the screen :thumbsdow and I can't find any setting in the plasma menus to enable the input to accept progressive.

If anyone knows of a way to enable PAL progressive on this plasma, I would be most grateful.

cheers,

drago.d