Budget Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FatBloke23, Mar 7, 2005.

1. FatBloke23

FatBloke23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Our old DVD player died, and I'm looking for a replacement. It's for a houseshare, and won't get much use, so I'm really looking at the cheap-and-cheerful end of the market, i.e. under £50.

Basically, I need:
    - Multiregion capability (out-of-the-box or through an easy hack).
    - Flexibility - the ability to play anything, including VCDs and MP3 CDs.
    - LED display - I really can't stand having to rely on OSD.

Obviously, I'd prefer such niceties as an RGB SCART output and perhaps even Dolby 2.1 output, but am not that fussed - most important is a decent picture.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Our local Curry's has a Mitsubishi Black Diamond BD48DVD for £50, but I can't tell whether or not it's multi-region (the advert says one thing, the dispay box another).

I've also heard good things about the Ronin P215 - it hasn't got a display though, and I can't be sure that it's bigger brother (P907) is any good.

Heeeeelp!

Cheers,
    FatBloke23

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I reckon a unit from panasonic, toshiba, sony or philips would blow all the marques you've mentioned out of the water and can be had for less than £50-60. Look in the classifieds on this forum and also look at what deals the likes of unbeatable.com and rgbdirect etc are having at the moment. eg see the link below.

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_205.html

Paying the extra for a reputable name should gurantee a decent picture and reliability over the supermarket specials.

Best of luck

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, you don't wanna be faffing around with unknown brand names at today's prices.

Pioneer DV370. Multiregion. £50. Richer Sounds (instore only, but quote website price). A tenner extra gets you a 3yr guarantee, with the £10 back if unused.

4. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Tosh 240e £50.00 m/r

5. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I myself have a pio 575, excellent (if a little more expensive). But can I just say my dad has the Mitsubishi Black Diamond BD48DVD (multiregion purchased from RS about a year ago), I was impressed with it to be honest and it plays anything you throw at it, so thats a good choice also. So that will be a good buy for you.