budget reciever for 6 ohm speakers

kendal21213

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi im making the jump from budget hifi to home cinema. i currently use a hifi 2 channel amp which is rated at 40 watts rms per channel into 8 ohms and i had that coupled with some mission m31i's which are rated for ages

recently my girlfriend brought me some budget floorstanders which were ment to be for christmas but iv got them early they are wharfedale vardus vr-300 which are 6ohm speakers

im just looking for some advice on a budget 5.1 amp the max i have is about 200

3d isnt particularly important nor is hd audio decoding as my ps3 can decode that and send it via pcm even i think let me know if thats incorrect. hdmi however will at least be needed to send the hd audio over via pcm also if i can get upconverting of analougue sources thatd be great (not sure if i need it as i think my ps3 can do it and i use that for dvd's to)

autosetup with a mic is a must as i dont have an spl meter and have never set up a home cinema setup before so would feel much more comfortable with the auto setup. the volume wont be cranked to loud as i have a toddler who goes to bed around 7:30ish although i do like to turn music up abit in the day sometimes. and 5 channel stereo although it tends to have innacurate sound might be a guilty pleasure at the occasional party if i ever get round to having one

i was looking at the strdh800 as its on sale in richer sounds for £150 but noticed it was only rated for 8 ohms

i then looked at the yamaha rxv367 as thats rated at 5x100 watts at 6 ohms but some sites say it doesnt come with a mic for auto setup and some say it does can anyone confirm this? also if anyone owns one whats the sound quality like as i have no where local to test equipment so have to buy blind (or deaf i guess as i cant hear one)

im willing to consider most budget amps at 200 or below wether its sony onkyo yamaha or whatever. however i would prefer something rated for 6 ohms (or that can be set to 6 ohms) as i wouldnt want to cause any damage to my system

if anyone could give me some advice thatd be great thanks

Many use the STRDH800 with speakers rated with a lower impedance than 8ohm. No issues will arise from doing so.

THe Yamaha RXV367 comes with a mic and inbuilt auto calibration. The only current amp I know of that doesn't is the Onkyo TXSR308.

If not bothered about 3D and HDMI 1.4 that is associated with the most recent models then I'd suggest this:
Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If £250 is just not possible then the STRDH800 you were interested in should suit your needs.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Many use the STRDH800 with speakers rated with a lower impedance than 8ohm. No issues will arise from doing so.

THe Yamaha RXV367 comes with a mic and inbuilt auto calibration. The only current amp I know of that doesn't is the Onkyo TXSR308.

If not bothered about 3D and HDMI 1.4 that is associated with the most recent models then I'd suggest this:
Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If £250 is just not possible then the STRDH800 you were interested in should suit your needs.

unfortunetly 250 probably is more then i can get away with spending at the current time. will it be ok having 6 ohms for fronts and my mission m31's 8 ohm as the rears?

also would i need hdmi 1.3/1.3a to get hd audio through pcm or is any hdmi sufficient?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
unfortunetly 250 probably is more then i can get away with spending at the current time. will it be ok having 6 ohms for fronts and my mission m31's 8 ohm as the rears?

also would i need hdmi 1.3/1.3a to get hd audio through pcm or is any hdmi sufficient?

You can mix the speakers without feat of causing problems. There will be no issue relating to the HDMI version on these amps and your requirements for HD audio and video. All current amps are at least 1.3 and most are now 1.4. Version 1.3 is preferable, but you'll only be buying an amp with a lower version if purchasing old and secondhand models.

Last edited:
You can mix the speakers without feat of causing problems. There will be no issue relating to the HDMI version on these amps and your requirements for HD audio and video. All current amps are at least 1.3 and most are now 1.4. Version 1.3 is preferable, but you'll only be buying an amp with a lower version if purchasing old and secondhand models.

thank you very much

the sony seems to be rated pretty highly so i guess il go for that over the yamaha then as i dont plan on getting a 3d tv untill the price drops anyways

edit: isnt the strdh800 an old model as superfi says its discontinued and that its been replaced by the 810. the 800 is version 1.3 though i think and can accept hd signals via pcm

thank you very much

the sony seems to be rated pretty highly so i guess il go for that over the yamaha then as i dont plan on getting a 3d tv untill the price drops anyways

edit: isnt the strdh800 an old model as superfi says its discontinued and that its been replaced by the 810. the 800 is version 1.3

though i think and can accept hd signals via pcm

THe STRDH800 is indeed discontinued and was replaced by the DH810, but you'll have to pay more than your budget to purchase the current DH810. The DH810 has video conversion and upscaling as well as a version 1.4 HDMI interface. Apart from the aforementioned differences, the DH800 and the DH810 are the same amp. You can only afford the DH800 because it is discontinued and not a current model. HDMI version 1.3 will be quite sufficient for your current needs ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom