Budget receiver for two speakers system

andreineagu

Novice Member
I'm looking for a budget receiver that I want as a central hub for all my sources. In short, my list of external sources would sound like this: 4K TV, CD Player or BluRay Player, a turntable, a media box with AndroidTV and occasionally an iPod or a laptop. I also want a radio FM tuner on it. I’m not sure if a stereo receiver or an AVR would be better but it’s clear that I don’t want to spend a lot of money now, especially on features that I won’t use or need.

The information found on the internet, the multitude of brands and the thousands of capabilities of each one is truly overwhelming. It's okay to be future-proof but I don't think I'd like to buy a receiver where I'll only use 60% of the inputs. Things like Bluetooth connectivity, or Ethernet / Wi-Fi sound good but it’s not a must. Also I’ll use just two 75W speakers at 8ohms. I’m not interested in 5.1 or 7.1, but for future proof maybe a 5.1 connectivity won’t harm anyone.

So my questions are:

1. Model and brand recommendations for an audio and video receiver ($500-$570 max budget)
  2. Is an audio receiver (stereo receiver) better than an audio video receiver in terms of sound quality, DAC, amp and so on.
  3. Other tips for choosing a receiver.
  4. Should I go for a better stereo receiver and stick with the TV for the video features (attaching a media box, maybe a Blu-Ray) and connect those to with a digital coaxial cable?

I also made up a short list of choices:
  1. Denon X550BT - which is a budget friendly AVR. It lacks Ethernet port or phono Input and I can’t stream things like Spotify and so on. I can get this from my media box anyway. With this model I'll have some money left for a basic CD player as well.
  2. Yamaha R-N303D - this stereo receiver gives me the retro vibe. It is possible that the sounds from this to be better than Denon. It lacks video features and connectivity but I think I can live with hooking up the media box directly to TV HDMI, and for the sound that's coming from the TV I'll use a digital coaxial cable.

Jester1066

How about a Denon DRA-800H:

Plenty of power. Has HDMI (multiple), Spotify, Airplay etc. Has fab reviews too.

If you wanted something with similar features and specs, but in a smaller physical "box" - Maybe a Marantz NR1200:

Incidentally - Marantz & Denon are built by the same company (Sound United), so will share similar/identical components etc.

Edited as I linked to the incorrect Marantz originally 🙈

Jester1066

Additionally, to answer this:

Is an audio receiver (stereo receiver) better than an audio video receiver in terms of sound quality, DAC, amp and so on.
Yes. What's more, the 2 receivers I mention above are stereo receivers with the added functionality of HDMI inputs etc. First and foremost they are stereo receivers and the DRA-800H will sound appreciably much better (for music) than the Denon X550BT (which is a full multichannel AVR).

Some also say that the Marantz brand is more musical vs Denon.

andreineagu

Novice Member
Additionally, to answer this:

Yes. What's more, the 2 receivers I mention above are stereo receivers with the added functionality of HDMI inputs etc. First and foremost they are stereo receivers and the DRA-800H will sound appreciably much better (for music) than the Denon X550BT (which is a full multichannel AVR).

Some also say that the Marantz brand is more musical vs Denon.
Thank you for this recommendations. Still, are there any cheaper options? I mean I could get rid of Ethernet/Wi-Fi connection and streaming. Just a basic option with Bluetooth, Phono Input and stuff. That would be perfect!

andreineagu

Novice Member
What do you guys think about Yamaha R-N402D and R-N303D?
I'm having my eyes on R-N402D for some days and I don't know if it's a better purchase than an AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom