budget rears to match m73 fronts

adox

Ex Member
Reaction score
im looking for a budget pair of rear speakers to go with my mission m73 front speakers.
my centre and sub are sony pascal as are my rears at the moment, and am trying to replace all the sonys with a decent budget set up.
i have about £120 to spend on rears. ive been told the mission 77ds are quite good (within my budget) but am also considering a pair of eltax bipolars or the tannoy mx1.
i am open to suggestions as every time i go into richer sounds in dublin they seem to be pushing the speakers they want to sell onto me. they tried to sell me a pair of jpwml810i floorstanders ahead of the m73s.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the receiver that is powering the speakers is a sony str de 475 @ 80 watts per channel with active sub. the speakers will placed to the side as sofa is against the wall!

Why not get the matching M7DS rears?
They are typically around £130ish,so a bit over the budget.
RS are usually a bit hit and miss with having some items,the 77ds you mentioned being one item that was sought after a while ago with RS advertising them but having no/little stock,dont know how that one turned out!

Consider these - Wharfedale DFS21. £99.95.

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=DFS21

I've just got a pair, they are superb. Just make sure you are happy with the dimensions first! The piccies on the site just dont do them justice. Lovely.

Also, if you put a note in the orderform they will waive the carriage fee.

Nick

thanks guys for your advice.
i know rs in dublin have both the 77ds and m7ds missions but the m7ds are 100 euro dearer than the 7ds. is there really that much of a difference?

also i`m going to check out the wharfedales as i don`t have to have all one brand speakers.

has anyone used the tannoy mx1`s as rears as they have them in rs as well and seem to be well thought of.

thanks again for the feedback.

Depends if you want bipole/dipole (Mission) or direct (Tannoy). As far as the Missions go, someone yesterday says he had both sets and couldn't tell the diff. between them, so get the cheaper ones IMO.

Why not Mission M71s? They would be a perfect match for your fronts, and I'm sure you can get them quite cheap...

Originally posted by adox
every time i go into richer sounds in dublin they seem to be pushing the speakers they want to sell onto me. they tried to sell me a pair of jpwml810i floorstanders ahead of the m73s.

Most retailers will try and sell you an alternative if they haven't got what you want. If you have Mission front speakers, a centre and rears from the same manufacturer would seem to be the sensible option. The M7ds and M77ds also have the advantage over the Eltax that they fit fairly flush to the wall and are therefore less unsightly.

unfortunatly at rs dublin they did have the speakers i wanted, the m73`s but did their upmost to flog me the jpw`s. when i told them the m73`s were well thought of they told me they were overpriced(300 euro, the same price as the jpw`s they were trying to sell) and that the missions weren`t up to much and had alot of friends in the press hence favourable reviews. being a newcomer to hc, i found the salesman very persuasive and single minded, but against his wishes i plumped for the m73`s.
still, it`s one of the few specialst stores in dublin so i will continue to shop there, just look for unbiased advice and opinion elsewhere, like on this site.

thanks for your views. i`ll be purchasing in the next two weeks, so i`ll post what i bought and what i think of them!

Originally posted by nickyvicar
Consider these - Wharfedale DFS21. £99.95.

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=DFS21

I've just got a pair, they are superb. Just make sure you are happy with the dimensions first! The piccies on the site just dont do them justice. Lovely.

Also, if you put a note in the orderform they will waive the carriage fee.

Nick

Its usually better to get speakers from the same range so that crossover frequencies match better than they will with different manufacturers.
M71's would be okay as someone suggested but by the time you purchase some stands it will end up more expensive and the speakers themselves are quite deep so might make positioning a bit more tricky.

unfortunatly m72s out of my price limit(290 euro in rs dublin).my budget is 150 to 200 euro for rears, not alot, but thats it. thats why ive been looking at other options to missions.
rs have been recommending a pair of eltax bipoles for 150 euro. dont know what model they are but may have to consider them.
havent audition any eltax speakers before so any feedback would be appreciated.

I have a Mission M73 front with M7DS rears - excellent, well built speakers - you wont go far wrong at this money. - Dont let Richer Sounds tell you otherwise - they'll try to flog you whatever they can aquire with minimal hassle.

thanks for all the feedback over the past few days. i eventually bought a pair of "budget" rears when attending the hifi and home cinema show in dublin.i bought a pair of mission m70`s for 130 euro(after some haggling).

have only auditioned them watching aotc and they sound great(replacing a pair of sony pascals at the rear) jusy what i was looking for. have the rear setting set to large with them and it makes all the difference having a speaker that can take some bass.

i`m sure for the extra cash the m71`s or even m72`s would have been a better choice, but i`m more than happy with ths sound and size does come into play as well. i might mount them on the wall eventually with brackets, i see mission have a pair to suit the m70`s. if anyone has a set i`d be interested to hear about them.
if i do get a pair they will be going into plasterboard, not a brickwall, so i`d like to know if they are suitable.

by the way quite dissapointed with aotc. marginal improvement on tpm but still a bit uninspiring. but then again for auditioning speakers it was great.

anyway if anyone has any info the wall brackets for the m70`s it would be greatly appreciated.

I would have suggested the M70's but couldn't find mention of them on Mission website even though I had heard of them.
Personally I would set them to small,not large,and let the sub handle the bass.

might try them on the small setting, but to be honest when i had the sony pascal`s all the speakers were set to small and the sound was puny. there was a big gap between the sat. speakers and the subwoofer, it went from thin treble to deep bass with no middle ground. when i got the m73` i set them to large and the sound improved dramatically. i am still using a sony centre speaker and subwoofer with the mission for fronts and rears and am worried about a lack of mid bass, hence the large speaker settings. the sub is active but still only a pascal speaker, and on the small settings with the sonys tended to overwhelm the sounstage, even turned to a low volume. i purchased the missions to get a much fuller sound, and so automatically set them to large, to get a bit of omph,for a better word, instead of having a big deep explosion at the front of the sound stage and what can only be described as a fart from the rears.
i`ll experiment with the sttings on both sets of missions to see which suits me best.
what are the advantages of having them set to small? i know with micro speakers it`s because they can`t really handle any bass, but why would i have the missions and redirest all the bass to the mediocre sub that i have?

Originally posted by adox
what are the advantages of having them set to small? i know with micro speakers it`s because they can`t really handle any bass, but why would i have the missions and redirest all the bass to the mediocre sub that i have?

Basically answered your own question;)

It might be worth setting the M73's to large,the rears to small, and to try without the sub altogether as the M73's are supposed to go down to 48Hz.
You wont get deep bass but there again I dont know how low the pascal sub is supposed to go.
Might also be worth considering replacing the centre with the Mission M7C2 as it will be a much better match for the fronts:)

thanks for the advice. i`m not sure how low the sub goes as the speakers came bundled with the receiver. i think it goes lower than the m73`s as even when they are set to large there are lfe`s coming from the sub that aren`t apparent on the fronts.

i agree about the centre speaker, but that will be another days arguing with the wife. also would i be better to shop online for it as it retails just short of 300 euro(about £180 st) at rs dublin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom