Question Budget Projector

jeegnesh

So don't have much clues about projectors, but after my wife cheated me out of buying a big TV, I have decided I still want a big screen and will go down projector route, however my budget is pretty poor, around £200. I do see lots of item in that range but have no idea if its just crap.

I don't expect cinemaquality at that price, just decent very watchable will do, my sources include using an iPhone or tablet, this is not going to be a fixed projector to ceiling or anything, just has to come out during movie night. Also seen some wifi projectors and android wifi projectors, again very much and unsure that they would be very good.

Would love some advice on whats worth looking into at that price point.

jeegnesh

Whoops forgot to mention that I’m trying to get a screen size of about 100 inches.

I just borrowed someone’s ICODIS P1 portable projector, will try this out just to see what it looks like. I just had a nightmare at trying to use it’s WiFi AirPlay, first trouble connecting to its inbuilt WiFi, when it did work was fine navigating menus but when I tried Netflix it would not play anything guessing because it wants a live net connection to stream the movie down. So maybe WiFi is a bad idea.

Last edited:

maverick177uk

Have a look on the classifieds for one at that price you can pick up a decent second hand one

Sounduser

Novice Member
I got a acer 1080 projector from ebay for 195. Ran it for 200+ hours and the bulb is dying. But still happy with it....

jeegnesh

My fun journey continues, learning the hard way, but thank god for Amazon returns.

Got a cheap 720p far east projector, picture was fine for me, but it sounded like a helicopter, after 10 minutes of viewing, I was packing it back in the box and heading to the post office.

I won a very cheap second hand icodis G1 portable projector (480p), and the picture in a darkened room would be sufficient for my current needs. However having no lens shift or keystone meant using a tripod in the right position for size and height to get a square picture, which ends up in both rooms I plan to view right in the line of sight for viewing in many positions but one. Not family friendly. Will keep this one but strictly for mobile/travel usage.

Tried similar units from Amazon that did auto keystone, although the keystone sorted the position problem, the quality of the image was very dark and no joy at all.

Finally I've come to your conclusion above, which is a proper projector but second hand, so am on the hunt again.

Vila

Finally I've come to your conclusion above, which is a proper projector but second hand, so am on the hunt again.
A second hand Optoma / Benq / Acer DLP is normally the right answer for these situations.

But just a heads up very few if any budget DLP projectors will have lens shift.
(And you dont want to use keystone correction)

If lens shift is important you might do better looking at the cheaper second hand LCD projectors from Epson, Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony

jeegnesh

A second hand Optoma / Benq / Acer DLP is normally the right answer for these situations.

But just a heads up very few if any budget DLP projectors will have lens shift.
(And you dont want to use keystone correction)

If lens shift is important you might do better looking at the cheaper second hand LCD projectors from Epson, Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony
Good to know. Out of interest how much lens shift is normal, just wondering if its slight adjustment to square up, or truly I can place image to say the end of the screen and be able to shift the image to the middle. (Oh the pains of no dedicated room)

jeegnesh

Moved on a little, managed to pickup a Sanyo PLV-z800, noise issue no longer a concern, the picture is miles better then everything else I have tried. Damn its a huge box still awaiting a stand and a few other bits before I can have it all working together.

Also picked up an Optomo 92" pull up screen, very easy to use and store, not as big as I wanted. However I can use the setup in a different room on a wall when size is all that matters.

Getting an adjustable projector stand and will have everything setup on there so moving it will be as easy as can be.

Almost there.

jeegnesh

Back to the drawing board, wife will not allow "the white monstrosity" (as she calls it) in the living room, so will be listing for sale in classified when I get time.

On the good news I have clearance to raise my budget to find a smaller black unit (are her specifications)

What should I consider in the £350-500 bracket?

jeegnesh

Optomo HD142X and 143X are being sold for the pretty much the same price, I can't see exactly why to buy one over the other? Anyone?

Trending threads

Top Bottom