budget prog scan dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by leehaynes, Sep 19, 2005.

1. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

after searching the usual sites (and some unusual ones! :eek: ) for a dvd player i've decided to settle here and ask for some suggestions on what other people have bought, or can recommend. :lease:

So, i'm after a dvd player, with the usual DD/DTS, must be prog scan and multi-region, an HDMI output would also be favourable just for the longeivity of it but i'm only looking to spend about £80.

I've seen the Toshiba SD350E and it looks good but i can't find anywhere that says it's multi-region.

This player will be for a family member as a birthday gift and will be just the start of a home cinema setup that i will source of the the next year, so i obviously want to get the best possible player that i can for my money.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Lee

2. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Good choice in that price range, if you want MR then leconcepts is the place to go although you pay a small premium for the pleasure - search this forum and you will find the handset MR hack for this player. IMHO do not consider any other player in this price range(unless you can still get a SD340)

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You could take a look at the Cyrus-tuned Limit DVDA900SE (£49.99 on Play.com). At this price, this player is an absolute bargain! DVD quality is excellent, and it also plays DVD-Audio/ MP3, - it plays them a lot better than DVD players costing a lot more though due to the Cyrus-tuned inards.

I replaced my Tosh SD220 with one, and feel it's a much better machine. It was originally on sale a couple of years ago for £200, and has gradually come down in price. It's also been argued that for basic DVD/ CD playback, it's a better machine than the Tosh 340 or Pio 575, but it doesn't have as many features as these more recent players.

There are lots of comments/ comparisions regarding the limit on this forum - just do a search for it, and you can make your own mind up.

Oh yes, and it does have prog scan too, but no HDMI.

Balders,

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'd be interested to see the supporting evidence for that statement...PJ :)

5. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm still edging towards the Tosh sd350e just as i'm a little wary about why a better player would be cheaper. I've always stuck to the "you get what you pay for" or "buy cheap buy twice" ethic.

I'd also be interested to see supporting evidence from other people or any other suggestions that may arise.

6. Mac

Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    leehaynes

The code for multi region on that 350E Tosh is to be found on Amazon.co.uk. Just go to the product and there is a link there to handset hacks.

7. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
  8. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i don't think the 40 has got hdmi output - could be wrong?

9. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    PJ,

Read my comment in context:

It's also been argued that for basic DVD/ CD playback, it's a better machine than the Tosh 340 or Pio 575, but it doesn't have as many features as these more recent players.​

I'm not saying it IS a better player as I haven't been in a position to do a comparision personally, only that some forum members consider it to be. If you do a search on this forum, there are various dicussions of the Limit, Tosh and Pio, and some of the posters have commented that although the Pio picture is more detailed, the Limit picture is better "all-round". It's all subjective though, so no hard evidence.

For CD's though, the consenus was that the Limit could beat any current budget DVD player hands down, including the Pio and Tosh. I've only been able to compare against my old Tosh SD220, and the Limit is so much better for stereo playback.

I've been revisiting the threads recently because I was considering replacing the Limit with a Pio 585, but after some research, it seems that it wouldn't make a particularly good upgrade, so I decided to stick with the Limit. If I'd needed DVD-A/ SACD/ DivX functionality, I'd probably have gone for the 585, but as I just want to play DVDs and CDs, I felt that the Limit would do this as well as, if not better than the new 585.

Balders

(All IMHO of course!)

10. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Was going to buy a Pioneer DV-380 or a Toshiba SD350 from Richer, but am now interested in the Limit from play.com after what has been said about it. Although the design doesn't look the best, for £50 delivered it sounds worth a risk.

Just a general question regarding ALL players. If its a R2 progressive scan player and you hack it to play R1, does the R1 automatically play progressive?

Thanks.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Apols, my rather severe snip masked the fact that I did fully realise you were echoing some sentiment I've seen others make rather than making it yourself.

I'd still like to see the evidence though. If a £50 player bettered the pic I see from the 575 it would be the bargain of the century.

Can I stress, a Pio 575 with detail set to medium and BNR=off looks very average. Switch detail to fine and BNR on and the difference is quite amazing, the sort of improvement you'd happily pay £300 for.

I suspect some of the comments come from a 575 that hasn't been adjusted to its optimum...PJ :)

12. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi All

Do you know what would be the best cabling to use with the 575a with my Sony CRT.

Would component->RGB Scart give a better picture than RGB scart->RGB scart.

And if there is a preference then can anyone recommend a certain cable (1 - 1.5M in length)

Thanks all

Gaz

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm not sure outputting component to SCART will work - either the TV will need to be able to accept a component signal over the SCART, or the player able to output RGB via component. And if the latter is the case it's academic because a SCART to SCART should offer the same quality.

My brother connects his 575 to the TV via SCART and he's well pleased with the performance...PJ :)

14. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Cheers PJ, I'll get a good quality Scart for now and use component when I upgrade my TV.

Is there a recomended make of scart that is worth getting...hopefully gonna pop out tomorrow to get a 575 and would like to pick up a cable at the same time.

Thanks for all your info PJ (in this and other threads)

Gaz

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I think someone mentioned the THOR SCART from play is a good one and not silly money...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=170944&p=321&g=409&pa=sr

However it is nearly 20% of the price of the player itself. Have you got a SCART lead knocking about to try it first, see what it looks like?...PJ :)

16. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    All the Scart I've got are ones that came with equipement... so they will all be lowest quality and I doubt any will be RGB.

It wouldn't have seemed as bad a price if you hadn't mentioned its 20% of the price of the player :hiya:

If I go and pick the player up I might see what price I can get a lead for while I'm out.

Thanks again for your help PJ

EDIT: Do I need to look for a scart that SPECIFICALLY says RGB to get the best picture ?????

Gaz

17. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You could well be right there, PJ, and I certainly take your point.

It's worth bearing in mind that although the Limit is only £50 now, it was between £100 and £200 when the 575 was intially released. It's only recently come down to £50, which I suspect is because it can't compete with the features available on the newer models.

As for the Limit being a bargain - it is! Especially when you consider the sound quality it gives out for CD's.

Balders.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Agreed, for £50 it seems silly money...PJ :)

19. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I too am looking for a budget player that will play all regions in progressive.

I have my choice limited down to these 5 multi-region players but can't decide which to go for:

1) Limit DVDA900SE £50 from Play. Free delivery.
    2) Toshiba SD240E £40 from RicherSounds. Delivery extra.
    3) Toshiba SD340E £80 from RicherSounds. Delivery extra.
    4) Pioneer DV-380 £60 from RicherIreland. Delivery extra.
    5) Sony DVPNS30 £57 from Amazon. Free delivery.

Any advice?

The most important thing is picture quality and good build. Not too interested in additional features such as ability to play DVD-A.