Budget players & sound quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Doorman80, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Doorman80

Doorman80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the sound quality on a dvd player matter if your going to hook it up to a external amp via a digital out.

Example
    If a cheap budget dvd player gets rave reviews for it picture quality but only gets 1 star for sound, does that mean when I hook it up to my Marantz4200 amp the sound will suffer because its a cheap dvd player?

ps.
    Whats a TOSLINK?

2. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Doorman80!

That's an emotive question. :eek:
    But I think keeping it specific to your post, I guess it's less that the sound will 'suffer', but more that on a dearer DVD player, with better electronics inside the sound will be brighter, and more dynamic.
    Have you any specific model in mind that other readrers may have an opinion about?

3. Doorman80

Doorman80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was looking at the Mico Clasica 20 from sainburys as a get 10% off with my staff discount. I need to get a cheapish dvd player since i spent all my budget on my amp & speakers:)

4. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I definitely noticed a difference between a SCAN SC-2000 (my first player) and the Marantz DV4100OSE I currently use.

Both were connected to the same amp & speakers (even using the same digital interconnect) and tested using the same selection of DVDs.

The sound supplied by the Marantz, even using digital out, is just clearer and crisper somehow.

I don't think it's psychological either because I can compare them side by side (I still own both) and hear the difference relatively easily.

Fergus