Budget player with MKV streaming support

AdsterUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a cheapish player and I'm being overwhelmed by the amount of contradictory information out there.

I only have a couple of requirements
- optical or coaxial out
- Can stream MKV (X264) over a plain network share and/or DLNA

Any advice gratefully appreciated :)

In all honesty you'd do better to put your money into a cheapish media player such as the WD Live, or similar, as file (codec) support will be a lot better.

I already have an xtreamer, I just hoped to reduce the number of boxes and be able to reuse the xtreamer in another room.

I opted for a Panasonic DMT-BDT110. It was £91 but I should be able to get back ~£18-20 of that if I sell the SW trilogy making it around £73.

So far I'm very impressed with it, its had no problems with any discs I've used, unlike the PS3 which forces the TV into an unsupported mode for Misfits, and the picture quality on MKV's is noticeably better than that produced by the xtreamer. It also has audio delay functionality, nice!

One note of caution for anyone looking to use it as their primary media streamer. While it has had no problems with any of the file types I've tried it does appear to have bandwidth restrictions. 1080's are a definite no and (very) occasionally a 720 will stutter.

...it does appear to have bandwidth restrictions. 1080's are a definite no and (very) occasionally a 720 will stutter.
Very true, and a great pity, as otherwise it would be near perfect :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom