Budget PL2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jGrahamD, May 16, 2002.

1. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've noticed a few AV receivers with Pro Logic ii decoding for less than £200 (e.g., Panasonic SA-HE70, Kenwood KRF-V7050). Has anyone had any experience of these, or seen any reviews, or know of any other bargains?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the SonySTr-585 for under 200 pounds and the Yamaha RX-V430RDS for 215 pounds.

3. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I havn't heard of the Sony one. Has this really got PL2? If so, where can you get it from?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is out in the US at the moment.
    Yes it has PL2, 100w per channel DIN.
    Due out here next month .
    192 Pounds at Unbeatable.
    Looks really nice.

5. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks good, thanks for the info.

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think you should have a look at Kenwood KRF-V5060D which costs £194 at qed-uk.com

Why? because it has got a good start and it has already won 3 tests in 3 major German Home cinema magazines.

Check this site
    http://www.kenwood-electronics.de/surrec_frmset.htm

But it is in German, however you could go via Google and search for this amp, this site will pop up and you can translate this page into english, the only downside is that the information about the tests won't work, at least on my pc.

7. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I note there's a 4060 as well, which is only 50 Watts per channel, not sure what else is different, but that's plenty of power for me. Anyone seen any reviews of these budget models?

8. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasabi,

What was the Kenwood up against in the German tests? The first generation budget DPLII amps were the the Marantz 4200 and Denon 1602 which both cost more. Looks like it's becoming a standard feature.

We mostly watch TV rather than DVD, so it seems DPLII is worth it.

Steve

9. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Sony amp is only about £20.00 more. This is very cheap for Sony, but I wonder which is best. I probably won't get it for a month or two, so it will be interesting to see what else comes on the market.

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Steev, I haven't read the magazines (live in London) and I only understand basic German. It doesn't say against which other amps, but overall these three mags does say it is very good with both movies and music considering the price which is €369 (£230), it seems that it is definitely the new benchmark. And we can get it for £35 cheaper!

JGrahamD - 4060 has the same stuff as 5060.

Guys -
    I am sure that QED will price KRF-9060(€729 = £455), will sell it for roughly £370-380 and that is much cheaper than Yamaha730 /Denon 2802/Sony 1070/Marantz 7200 best prices on the net. And none of them has THX-7.1 reproduction!

IMO, the whole 2002 range are much cheaper than its competitors new ranges. I can't believe that it is just lots of features and no quality. The German mags aren't less thorough in their tests (Just see German Car mags). I am just person that doesn't believe that traditional brands is always best. If I can save people some money, which they can spend it on other parts/things and without loss of quality, I would be very happy (':)')

Apologies if you think I talk too much.

www.kenwood.nl webpage is in English so you can read all the features in correct English.

11. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I havn't seen the 4060 or 5060 on either Unbeatable or Empiredirect yet, but I imagine they will get them in and probably be a bit cheaper.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think about getting a amp with cs5.1,better than dpl2.i have the marantz sr6200.dpl2 is good but i prefer cs5.1.save up and go for marantz.i've had sony amp before,crap sound compared to the marantz

13. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V430. A bit over £200 but comes with Cinema DSP and Silent Cinema (headphone) modes. Anybody heard any of these modes in action and care to comment?

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Regarding Circle Surround II, I agree with Bev, it seems much better than DPL II. If you guys click on this link, there is a review on Marantz SR-7200

http://www.srslabs.com/pdf/E Gear.pdf

This is the interesting part of the review.

"Circle surround mode was noticeably louder than pro logic II when playing the same tracks, and in fact measured 6 to 10 decibels higher. I initially attributed the clearer sound the higher voluje but when I played the track again in pro logic II and raised the level to that of the track in CS mode. I felt the CS was still superior. Marantz CS made more effective and convincing use of the surround channes especially in the tracks No Hay Promblema and Donde Estas Yalanda. If I owned this receiver I'd probably never listen to music in regular stereo again, the CS mode was that impressive.

Interestingly I found myself favouring CS mode over ProLogic II again. PL II did fill the room better than PL I, but CS seemed to have a firmer grasp of how the rear channels should be used. CS is just better for home theater."

I have noticed that Kenwood is the first mass market brand that introduces this technology and their cheapest receiver with CS II will be their Kenwood krf-v7060d, which I estimate will cost around £250 which puts it in the Yamaha RX-V530 (leconcepts) price league. But again I think I will buy Kenwood krf-v8060d, which has added 6x100w, DTS-ES discrete, DTS 6.1 Matrix/Neo, Dolby Digital EX, DPL II - all for a price hopefully no more than £300 ish (cheaper than the new benchmark Yamaha 630 with no real DTS-ES and CS II but with their famous Cinema DSP).

What do you think guys?

15. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wasabi, I note that Circle Surround is also included in the older KRF-V7050. This only costs around £180. Is there much advantage to the newer models?

16. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    JGrahamD

If you search on circle surround II in Google, there will be quite a lot of information about the new generation. The new receivers have generation II, which derives up to 6.1 matrix + the whole technology seems to have evolved to a superb product, while the old one derived up to 5.1 matrix. It seems it is giving DPL II a great challenge and the music/film industry is very positive to it.

17. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Kenwood KRF-V6060 has Circle Surround II. Although this is only 5.1, you can have a phantom surround centre, or it has a centre pre-out. This might be the one to go for. Meanwhile, I'll read up on CSII. Thanks for all the info!

18. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i was looking at the specs for the Kenwood krf-v8060d and it says it has 6 channels of amplification for the following

FL C FR RL RR then cetreback/subwoofer

so if i want to drive a centre rear i will have to do with out the subwoofer or buy an other amp to handle the amplification for the centre back or if you have an active sub connected will that free up the amplification for the centre rear

any one clear this up for me

link to the amp

19. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 6060 has pre-outs for both sub and centre rear. I think the the 8060 will drive either a centre rear or passive sub. If you have an active sub, this should be no problem

20. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    thats what I thought my sub is an active sub
    do you know if they are out in the Uk yet & where to buy

21. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just seen it at http://www.empiredirect.co.uk for £226, but it's not in stock yet.

I can't buy anything for a few months, but the market is getting very interesting.

Steve

22. sdl

sdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Bev also. The CS5.1 (Circle Surround) mode on the Marantz is brighter and fills the room much more than DPLII.

23. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steev,
    I assume you're talking about the 6060 not the 8060. I contacted Hiway Hifi (www.hiwayhifi.com) and they say they have the 6060 in stock, but the price is higher than Empire.