Question Budget phone advice please

Chris1984

Novice Member
Hello

First post :)

Would anyone be able to offer any advice on a budget smartphone please?

I had been looking for one for up to £100 but i might be able to stretch to about £130 ish if necessary.

The phone is for my mom to replace her old lumia 525 (I think) and would be used mostly for Web browsing, texting, emails and the odd bit of YouTube.

I really want something that will be a smooth experience as it really bugs her when her current phone runs slowly.

Battery life is also important as well as quick charging as her current phone takes too long to charge for her liking (probably 2-3 hours)!

Something reliable would also be a plus as we would ideally like it to last at least a couple of years.

I have looked at lots of different phones but always seem to see at least one negative comment about each one that put me off such as poor customer service or touch screen issues, slow performance etc.

I have a few offers that I had found but I'm not really sure how good the phones/deals are:

Tesco direct: Moto E4+ Gold -SIM Free

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/s...city=16GB&dealType=pg&tabID=specificationData

They also have this sim free on amazon for £138.

Moto G6 Play | Carphone Warehouse

Are there any better options out there than these? I would like to buy from a UK retailer if possible just in case anything goes wrong with the phone.

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer, I am struggling a bit here :)

Chris1984

Novice Member
Hello limegreen

Thank you for your response :)

I will have a look at hotukdeals :smashin:

I had looked at the Nokia 5 but saw some negative comments about it which put me off, would you know how it compares to the galaxy j5 (2017) that I linked?

Thank you :)

Steven

Senior Moderator
In your position I would do my best to convince her that spending more is better value
Why though? This broad brush statement is not helpful advice without some context or justification to advise throwing money at the problem.

The user of the phone does not need top spec and neither is it suggested mum does not know how to use a phone. The iOS recommendation because mum may find it easier comes across as patronising, albeit I assume unintentional
The phone is for my mom to replace her old lumia 525 (I think) and would be used mostly for Web browsing, texting, emails and the odd bit of YouTube.

I really want something that will be a smooth experience as it really bugs her when her current phone runs slowly.
Any reasonably priced 2018 smartphones are fine for the listed requirements. Best for mum to go to the high street to get a feel imo. And yes that may include a budget iPhone

limegreenzx

Banned
Why though? This broad brush statement is not helpful advice without some context or justification to advise throwing money at the problem.

The user of the phone does not need top spec and neither is it suggested mum does not know how to use a phone. The iOS recommendation because mum may find it easier comes across as patronising, albeit I assume unintentional

Any reasonably priced 2018 smartphones are fine for the listed requirements. Best for mum to go to the high street to get a feel imo. And yes that may include a budget iPhone
Well, thanks for the useful criticism.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom