Budget PC stero system (£200)

RICKYMG

Standard Member
Well after the long wait to get my new pc i decided it now needs to be complimented with some nice new speakers :D.
I will be using the onboard sound from the mobo (gigabyte 880gm ud2h i think ) After testing out some pc speakers i decided they wernt really doing it for me.

Ive been looking at the Whafedale Diamond 9.1's as speakers which i believe are £100 from superfi but as far as the amp goes im clueless.
I listen mainly to heavy music ( Eyes set to kill :thumbsup:) so if any one has any suggestions on either amp or speakers i could really do with your help.

I dont think i can squeeze more out of the budget but dont go thinking you have to spend all of it either :smashin:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The thing is Computer Speakers aren't speakers, they are speakers PLUS internal amps. If you get the Diamond 9.1, do you have an external amp to drive them, and no, you can't drive them directly off your computer.

So, now you have a decision to make, do you want active speakers, or do you want an amp and speaker combination?

For active speakers, these are pretty ideal for quality Computer+iPod playback -

Audioengine A5 Active Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Audioengine A5, 2 inputs, 45w/ch, 5" woofer, Sub output, £249/pr

This speaker also acts as a charger for an iPod, and I'm not sure how, but I think it can work with Apples Airport Express (wireless network) or Audioengines own wireless network adapter.

The Diamond 9.1 will cost you about £100/pr, but they will also require and additional £150 stereo amp.

A potential choice -

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Pioneer+A209R&hl=en&aq=f

Though this would probably be a better amp -

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Pioneer+A307R&hl=en&aq=f

I think the separate amp and speakers is the better more flexible choice, but the Audioengine A5 is very compact, great sounding, and very convenient.

There are a few other similar options for both active systems, and amp/speaker systems, but can get into that more later.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

RICKYMG

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply =) been pretty ill lately so havent really been doing any shopping. I'l check out the audioengine but i dont know if its for me.

RICKYMG

Standard Member
Been reading around and seen some comments that say the tannoy f1's (i thinks thats what they were called :L ) beat the whafedales for music. Any advice on the speakers?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Been reading around and seen some comments that say the tannoy f1's (i thinks thats what they were called :L ) beat the whafedales for music. Any advice on the speakers?
Those are opinions, just as the comments favoring the Wharfedale are. You can probably find Monitor Audio BR1 for a similar price. Any of these speaker would be good, but to know which one you like, you have to listen to it.

But, remember, to use these speakers, you need an amp. So far, you haven't specifically said that you have an amp.

Active or Computer speakers/monitors - speakers with amps built in.

Speakers - speakers with no amps

My advise, add £50 to your budget and get new speakers and an amp.

Steve/bluewizard

RICKYMG

Standard Member
Im still looking at amps at the moment =) i did like the look of the second pioneer you posted earlier. The specifications of amps however mean very little to me ( i cant understand it :D )

Trending threads

Top Bottom