1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget of £500 what remote?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Napier, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I am looking for a remote to control my home cinema but have no idea what brands are good and what is available for me. I would like one single remote rather than the several that I have.

I have looked at the latest Harmony however the marantz top spec one looks like more my thing. I like the IPAQ hand held design idea, what do you think I could get for my budget and which one should I go for?

Napier

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  3. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    £500 for a remote !!?!?!

Wow ! I think I might be tempted to clutter up the coffee table with extra remotes than spend that much !

4. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have to agree with Geordie Jester. There are a lot of good remotes that can be had around the £100 mark - Harmony H655 et al, URC-200/300, MX-500. At £500, the rule of diminishing returns must be in effect. Spend £100 and use the money you have saved to buy some DVDs, etc.

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Personally, i'd go for a Siemens Simpad SL4 or SLC, with WinCesoft's Remote Control II software.

WinCEsoft web site

Buy the time you purchase a Simpad, and the software, you'll still have around £300 change left, from your £500 budget. :thumbsup:

6. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    napier

i have the ipaq RX3715 mobile media edition, it more than does the job of my 6 remotes, the IR is good, no need to point directly at the device. It controls my futronix lighting controler, the projector et all. It does a lot of the std kit using the built in codes from the remote software ( nevo v2.0)but the stuff it doesnt know about you can teach it by learning the buttons from your original remote. plus its not £500.

Its simple to setup, and when youve finished turning on all the kit with a single button you have loads of spare time to surf the web wireless style, or take it out in the car during the day and use it as a gps navigator, bluetooth gps unit req for that though.

not a bad bit of kit all round

7. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Depends how techie you want to be.

Well within your budget, for £300 you could get a Dell x50v PDA, with a nice VGA colour screen, and your choice of several different remote emulator packages. I'm a long standing PDAWin user, but support for that seems to have dried up. I've also got a copy of Total Remote. My next step is to switch over to NetRemote, which has some possible advantages; use of the VGA graphics, full screen control (i.e. no standard headers), wifi control of PC (if you want to get really, really techie!!!). And you get a state of the art PDA for free....

Downside is it's not an off the shelf, out of the box product. You do get a simple starting layout, but after that it's up to you, to do as little or as much as you want. Some people take it very seriously and configure/customise their PDAs to the extreme. But they do make their work available via Remote Central, so it's relatively easy to put together a pretty flash bespoke remote. You have to do a little "maintenance" work evrytime you buy new kit, but if you design the layout properly (or "borrow" one of the experts models), this is easy enough.

If you are a frustrated techie at heart (like me), it's a good way to go (and you've still got £200 left to buy some more DVDs.