1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget of £2000. What should I get?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wigwam_salesman, May 17, 2005.

1. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Glad I found these forums (or rather they were recommended to me)...

I have a budget of £2000 (although I won't discount something at £2010) and I am not sure what to get. This budget has to include a floor stand if it is not provided with the screen.

I have personally narrowed it down totwo choices. The first being the Hitachi 42PD5200 and an alphason stand (where is the cheapest for the screen? I have found it for 1700ish here: CLICK ME.

The second choice is a samsung 50" SP50L7HX DLP Rear Projection set. Is this better or worse than the plasma option?

In an ideal world I would get a Panasonic Viera 42" that is HDTV ready but I can't find one that is under two grand. The low res one is just about two grand including it's stand.

Now...I know nothing about these kind of TV's apart from what I have read so I am hoping you guys know more than me ;) and will suggest the best for my budget. It *must* be HDTV ready.

Equipment I will be connecting to it include: sky+, PS2, DVD player, DVD recorder.

I have a PC with DVI output and I would like to use this with the screen but I have read that the Hitachi I am looking at specifically says not to for some reason. It is not a deal breaker if I can't plug in my PC but it would be nice.

I don't want an unknown brand, even if it is a rebadge of good quality kit.

I like my technology to look stylish also.

Thanks for reading all that! All and any advice appreciated.

Oh. While I can afford to pay outright I would like to pay on credit (I gave up smoking a month ago and I want to feel I am getting something with the money I am not wasting on health sticks. That probably makes no sense to anyone but never mind). I am only interested in credit though if there is somewhere offering it interest free over at least 24 months.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for £2k you are going to seriously struggle for plasma TH37PV500 is worth hunting for tho HD ready, Floorstand, Stylish and lots of places offering credit some 0% AV-sales etc other wise there is very little plasma wise under £2k more choice of DLP RPTV's (cant hang them on the wall tho)

3. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to hang it on the wall but I have seen loads of plasma's for under 2k. According to digitalhomemag.com the hitachi 42PD5200 is the best plasma screen to get and I can get that for £1700 (see my original post).

I could do with some advice on the pro's and con's of plasma/dlp rp.

EDIT: I am led to believe that this has an amazing picture quality and is well worth going for. Is it worth it though as it's not HDTV ready? I know I have said I want an HDTV ready panel but HDTV is going to be very expensive over here for a few years and I won't be getting it until it comes down in price. I think though that it would be a bit foolish to buy a low res panel now?

4. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Rather than try to find the plasma that you like AND the finance deal that suits at the same place get a new credit card with 12 months intrest free on it and then buy from anywhere :D
    after 12 months new credit card, transfer the outstanding balance and hey presto

Dont you always find that the 0% is offered on the stuff you dont want or at the places that are too expensive :mad:

good advice can be found at the motley fool

Nick

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well as the hitachi PD5200 isnt "HD ready" as far as i am aware, I dont class ALIS as HD ready, but thats a contentious issue. I had discounted it from the list.

Thats an OLD list!!!!!

6. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I appreciate your advice but I don't understand it. Fair enough the list is old. So what would you recommend I get? And what is wrong with ALIS for HDTV? What is the best plasma I can get for my budget and what is the best DLP RP? And which should I get. Thanks.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have a search for ALis and see what pops up, the set needs to accept 720p and 1080i at both 50 and 60Hz with HDCP, and have 720+ lines/vertical pixels there are no plasma i can think of that do all of that for under £2k with floor stand 37PV500 is closest. AS DLP RPTV try the RPTV forum RPTV will more easily meet your "paper" specs, as for PQ you need to demo and decide.

8. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PQ? I'm a noob dude :D

I will have a search on ALis though thanks.

EDIT: Ah, picture quality lol. Should have got that one :eek:

9. nak

nak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi WigWam,

HornyDragon is right of course, but I was in the same situation although I already owned the Sony Pascal Surround kit.

Budget was a major factor, but I'll get 2-3 years out of it, wait and see which HD platform emerges, then flog it!

Watching the latest Pioneer 1080i demo disc on a 37"PW7 was superb, even though I was theorectically losing 600 lines!!

The Panny's progressive capabilities are very good, especially at 720p - good enough for most.

:)

10. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard that the panny (adopting your phrase) is pretty good at upscaling. I love the looks of this TV but I feel I would be a bit daft to buy a low def tv now that hdtv has been given an official arrival time (although it will be damn expensive).

Before I ask over on the RP forum, would a hitachi 42PD5200 be better than a DLP RP tv or not, I know its a few months old but I am guessing its still damn good? I reckon the answer will be no though as for one thing the DLP RP's are not ALIS so won't suffer that problem.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry you miss the point, the PD5200 is not hd ready, nothing to do with pixel count. Hitachi have replaced it with the 7200 for this reason. I'm not big on alis either, but some folks like it. Just bear in mind all other high res plasmas cost more, and there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's cheap technology, the use 1 drive array for 2 pixel rows and light them alternately. This saves money, it was originally for static display and meant to save screenburn. The processing and overscan issues kill it dead for me, but let's hear it for Hitachi from someone who lives with one. Basically, you cannot currently buy a 'hd ready' plasma for £2k

12. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Wigwam,

Firstly on the question of rear projection v's plasma you're going to have to take a look at both to make your mind up. Both have pro's and con's. I'll not start a lengthly debate by offering my opinion!
    You might be interested to know that Hitachi will be releasing a new version of the 42PD5200; The 42PD5200H. The screen will have a new board that will allow for a 720p input. I had a chat with the rep a couple of days ago and the trade price leads me to believe that a 2K budget will be OK. Not sure how long until it arrives though.

Last point on HD. You cannot buy a plasma with native HD resolution so EVERY plasma will need to scale the HD input. I could start a monster debate about the issues this raises but take it from me that HD on SD displays (compatible ones) will look fantastic. Higher res screens will be better, but there are other more important questions; such as how far will you be sitting from the screen? anything over 14 feet and I doubt you could see the difference. What HD really achieves is reducing the minimum distance you need to sit from a given screen size without sacrificing PQ. If you want to test this out go stand 25 feet from any TV, the picture will 'appear' to be pin sharp.

Regards,

Export.

13. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so basically I have narrowed it down to this...

1) get a very high quality non HD panel (panny viera)

2) go for DLP RP. (I am very tempted).

3) manipulate the hell out of my budget and get a high def panny viera.

Any other viable options. I really appreciate all the advice. I thought I had some idea what I was talking about haha. I don't understand why the Hitachi 5200 is not HD ready though? It has a DVI input (And an adapter from HDMI is readily available) and supports HDCP

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It does not support the necessary resolutions and timings. And Mr Export, don't know who you are, but I understood it to be a far more basic issue than just a card for the 5200, just like panasonic. The whole screen runs at 60Hz, the 7200 is quite a major revision, done simply for HD compatibility. The chances of any maker releasing a card backwards compatible, to help out existing owners? I'd rather be an iceberg in the Amazon.

15. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Maw,

Can only go on what I have been told. But the PD5200H will apparently take 720p50. I agree that it will require more than just a board but ?????

The chap from Hitachi I spoke to simply implied that the 5200 was to be made HD compatible for both formats in the UK. It will still be a lesser model to the 7200 but also cheaper.

I guess we will soon know...

16. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a HD plasma for £2k, just not with a swish floor stand included in the price...

Hitachi 42PD7200 - £2000
    Panasonic TH42PV500 - already on pre-order for £2200 including tabletop stand and/or extras, and im sure will be close to or under 2 grand after a few weeks in stock
    Pioneer 435XDE - expect a street pricedrop to £2200-2300 very soon
    and new Samsung and LG for £1500ish?

I wouldn't be put off in the slightest just because MAW and horny don't like ALIS screens. Just seen my mate's 7200 and was mightily impressed. The new Panasonics were top on my shopping list and safe I thought, but not any more...the most surpising thing - the black levels. Not the light grey I was expecting, way better than Pioneer's and close to Panasonic - you'd have to be a real fusspot to complain about them.

I told my friend off for buying Hitachi...had to eat humble pie I have to admit

17. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I will see what the 7200 Hitachi is going for.

EDIT: Just looked at the 7200. I feel I am paying more than is necessary for a motorised stand which I don't want or need. I am still confused.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sounds like hitachi 5200H if it ever arrives will be a 52000 with FRC from 50-60Hz done on the cheap this could end up being very very poor for a £2k screen. Export was your info from Yello?
    wigwam i must ask whats the big deal about having it HD ready anyway? SOunds like you need a proper demo mate PS there not as nice in the DLP RPTV forum are they... (and 1,700 posts isnt many... :rotfl: )

19. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The deal is hornydragon that I KNOW that HDTV is coming to the UK in about 9 months. I would feel pretty damn stupid if I bought a TV for £2,000 now that could not support the forthcoming HDTV. I can't afford to buy another one next year. Can most people on here? And it also needs to support HDTV for PS3 or Xbox360 (whichever I get).

Anyway, I am keeping out of the DLP forum. Bloody snobs lol (kidding guys). But that samsung is totally ruled out! What idiot designed a stand on a home cinema TV that can only have an offset centre speaker!

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    but just because it is available in 9 months (has been for nearly a year ;) ) are you going to rush and buy/ subscribe to it just cause it is there? The cost of HD is so far unknown.....so while being "HD ready" may be an advantage a better quality TV may make more sense. Early adopters pay a hefty price are you going to? or buy a 42" panny PWD7 for £1400 now (with 5.1 system and sky you have all you need for TV) stick £600 back in the bank and see whats around in 12-18 months? I gaurentee it will be cheaper, better and choice will be wider....

21. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree about the HDTV, it's the new consoles that bother me. Sony say theirs will be out by xmas and the xbox360 next spring (or maybe that is the other way round) and all games will be designed for HDTV...that's only six months away.

Although I am very, very tempted to get THIS. It looks fit and the picture is supposed to be hellish fit as well.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the PE50 is perfect, will work will PS3 and Xbox 360 (component inputs) and most likely Sky HD too you cant do better than feed an SD panny 720p SEX on erm well GaAs actually....................and in 2 years upgrade to the PV700 and put that one in the bedroom!!!!!!! (what 90% of members with SD pannys are planning to do!!!!)

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pe50b.html juste over £2k with floorstand delivery and free DVD recorder......go see one in action!!!!

23. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No idea but AV-sales have probably the best Customer service rep of any suppplier on these forums try a search. They may not be the cheapest but their package and aftersales is enviable (they also offer credit etc and demo facilities that others dont!!!)

25. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right - I will get onto it first thing in the morning. I have spent 11 hours on this today lol and I am knackered! *must* remember to do some work tomorrow! Thanks very much for your help :)

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no worries...........just a reminder DEMO DEMO DEMO...;)

27. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    the TH42PE50CAB is not HD ready. Max res is 852x480 - it will have to scale it down to show the ps3 & xbox360's HD resolutions of 1080i/1080p. You will lose quality. It will still look good, but not as good as it should.

28. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Just saw an Hitachi 7200 connected to the media pc showing WMHD clips that Comet are supplied with by Sagem for their DLP screens and it was good but to be honest I did not reckon it looked as good as the sagem DLP which could be because the sagem is set up for the thing i suppose. I have seen Pioneer plasma demo showing DVHS High definition and the detail was exceptional albeit it does cost more.
    Hornys comment on PW7 at 720p has got me wondering though. If only the new P50 had a pc input and hdmi but i suppose thats so the 500 series can shine.

29. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wigwam, you can get the new hitachi 42pd7200 (HD ready) for 1900 quid on the internet. So don't buy the 5200 just to save 200 pounds.
    Also the new Hd Samsung is worth looking at (cheap 1500) though i have'nt seen a review. Looks beautiful though, best looking plasma under 3 grand

PS I saw that Sagem too and was surprised/impressed. Still has that slight shimmer on whites( projection surface) but really realistic nevertheless. Moving image was slight letdown

30. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks rudy. What website has the 7200 for 1900?