Budget Mains Cable Advice

Dankeech

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help; I'm looking for 2 nice budget mains cables for my hifi. £60 sounds ok for me in total. Don't even mind ebaying for them (any links appreciated). prefer brand new unused.

Needs to be UK 3-pin plug to 'kettle-lead' type connector

Anyone got any suggestions:lease:

Thanks in advance

Dan:smashin:

Since when has £30 been a budget price for a power lead?

I'm sure you don't need to spend this amount of money.

GreenBars said:
Since when has £30 been a budget price for a power lead?

I'm sure you don't need to spend this amount of money.

I know, I'm a sucker for treating my hifi with nice cabling etc.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Have you had a close look at the cables Steve?

The seller claims the cable is 'fully double shielded'

(as do other ebay sellers that use the same cable type)

looks like a single screen industrial 'SY' control cable to me.
http://www.centralcables.co.uk/products/sy.htm
(I might be wrong though)

Nothing wrong with the price though, is reasonable for that price as it takes a bit of time to assemble and test etc.

Mark.

Dankeech said:
Just wondering if anyone can help; I'm looking for 2 nice budget mains cables for my hifi. £60 sounds ok for me in total. Don't even mind ebaying for them (any links appreciated). prefer brand new unused.

Needs to be UK 3-pin plug to 'kettle-lead' type connector

Anyone got any suggestions:lease:

Thanks in advance

Dan:smashin:

£6.49 4 way Belkin power surgemaster power block. From Amazon. The add 2 standard kettle leads to that. Works perfectly fine for me, whilst your at it, read up on blind test on power blocks, there are some threads here to read (try "secrets blind test" & "wigman power cable blind test") on the search facility. Some very interesting reading you may enjoy.

I think as CJROSS is pointing out,that the results can be variable at best,and sometimes can actually make things worse,as I found when trying out a moderate priced set of power leads on a pair of valve monoblocs....I was quite surprised to find the sound noticeably constricted and flattened,as was the case when the same leads were hooked up to my Krells.

Back to the supplied leads in both cases.

If you get a chance to actually try before buying,as some makers do(I'm not endorsing Russ Andrews,but you do get a 60day trial) then it can help you make up your mind as to whether or not the ends justify the costs.

Kendo76 said:
If you go onto the seduction audio shop and click the link on the far left for mains leads, they have a buy it now or make a best offer type of auction. You just offer a price and they'll email you yes or no. Got mine for £20 plus p+p that way. :)

edit - easier this way http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audiophile-Mains-Power-Cable-Lead-MK-professional-plug_W0QQitemZ5860316633QQcategoryZ116852QQcmdZViewItem

They are very good quality, got one for my new LCD tv recently.

I am sure that it is good quality, but I am not supprised £20 was accepted.
imho the value the components are:
£1.50 for the 13 amp plug.
£5 to £10 for the Japanese Wattgate copy.
£1 per meter for the cable, I agree with Mark looks like SY industrial cable!
some £ for construction (OK, the guy has to eat!) -but the buy it now price is a bit ott!

Agree with Kendo76 and the cable is much more impressive in the flesh than shown on the pictures.

CJROSS said:
£6.49 4 way Belkin power surgemaster power block. From Amazon. The add 2 standard kettle leads to that. Works perfectly fine for me, whilst your at it, read up on blind test on power blocks, there are some threads here to read (try "secrets blind test" & "wigman power cable blind test") on the search facility. Some very interesting reading you may enjoy.

Thanks CJRoss, I'll look into this. Surge protection is something I'll need to add soon too. Will probably get onto that in the morning (After sleeping lol)

Dan.

alexs2 said:
I think as CJROSS is pointing out,that the results can be variable at best,and sometimes can actually make things worse,as I found when trying out a moderate priced set of power leads on a pair of valve monoblocs....I was quite surprised to find the sound noticeably constricted and flattened,as was the case when the same leads were hooked up to my Krells.

Back to the supplied leads in both cases.

If you get a chance to actually try before buying,as some makers do(I'm not endorsing Russ Andrews,but you do get a 60day trial) then it can help you make up your mind as to whether or not the ends justify the costs.

Thanks for the advice Alexs2, I'm currently running on leads that came with my cd player and amp. They're not even that well made by the look of it. Kind of thing you'd pick up for £1/£2 from a local computer fair.
I think with my budget, Russ Andrews cables are a bit out of budget, whcih is a shame. I'd like to be able to test to see if could hear the difference, but couldn't see myself spending that amount of money. Think £60 for the two seems pretty reasonable for first set of cables, seeing as not exactly running anything high end here (see sig).

Think to be honest, regardless of whether it makes much difference, I'd like new cables. Would be nice to hear the difference, but I've treated my hifi to worthy cabling throughout etc and it seems to be an area to the side of my rack that has 2 different length ugly cables there. For the sake of £17 or so more per cable as suggested with best-offer on ebay, kind of think that even with little difference in sound it'd be worth it.

Of course, if sound is not as good, I'll ebay the cables back off. Either that, or treat the kettle lol.

Eomer said:
Agree with Kendo76 and the cable is much more impressive in the flesh than shown on the pictures.

Nice to know and glad nicer than in the picture. All too often a photo gives wrong idea about a product. Glad to hear I shouldn't be disappointed in that respect

Dan.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Wow, loads of info in just a few hours!

I'll probably make a best offer for those cables on ebay. I'll give them a go with the £20 each + p&p and see how it goes.

Will wait til car has done the MOT friday and if all goes well, will make my purchase then.

:thumbsup:

Maplins sell similar looking leads to this for £14.99.

gerbilly said:
Maplins sell similar looking leads to this for £14.99.

Thanks for the heads up Gerbilly. Found the lead I think you mean 'HQ Screened IEC Mains Lead'. Looks nice, and is £20.

I'll probably try my luck with the ebay seller as comes with a better IEC connector, but this is a good backup option if my £20 offer is not accepted.

Thanks tho!

Kendo76 said:
If you go onto the seduction audio shop and click the link on the far left for mains leads, they have a buy it now or make a best offer type of auction. You just offer a price and they'll email you yes or no. Got mine for £20 plus p+p that way. :)

edit - easier this way http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audiophile-Mains-Power-Cable-Lead-MK-professional-plug_W0QQitemZ5860316633QQcategoryZ116852QQcmdZViewItem

They are very good quality, got one for my new LCD tv recently.

Thanks again Kendo76, I made a £40 +p&p offer for a pair of cables, hoping to hear back soon....:)

I can vouch for products by Seduction Audio.

I've bought speaker cable and a mains cable from them. Both have been excellent, very well made. Plus the service from them is great. Very helpful and fast delivery.

I even found their speaker cable to sound better than my Nordosts.

Mark Grant said:
Have you had a close look at the cables Steve?

The seller claims the cable is 'fully double shielded'

(as do other ebay sellers that use the same cable type)

looks like a single screen industrial 'SY' control cable to me.
http://www.centralcables.co.uk/products/sy.htm
(I might be wrong though)

Nothing wrong with the price though, is reasonable for that price as it takes a bit of time to assemble and test etc.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

The cable used does appear similar to the "SY" cable you mention. I'm perfectly happy with the quality of the cable, plug and IEC used and believe it's worth the £30 I paid for it. :)

Steve

Mark G,
Do you do mains cables? Also, what sort of price, any pics?. If not, is it something you'll likely do soon?

btw, looking forward to the 5-rca to 5-rca cables for the back of my amp. Can't wait:D

Dan.

Russ Andrews yellow cables made a noticeable difference IMHO and are within reasonable money. I would suggest you try one with your cd player then purchase another later on if you like it, if not you can return it lossing nothing. Russ Andrews have a bargain section for trade ins and sometimes Yellow cables end up there.
Ecosse cable also do a budget mains cable but have not tried that.
Then there is MarkGrant cables who has very positive feedback on the forum.

pwood said:
Russ Andrews yellow cables made a noticeable difference IMHO and are within reasonable money. I would suggest you try one with your cd player then purchase another later on if you like it, if not you can return it lossing nothing. Russ Andrews have a bargain section for trade ins and sometimes Yellow cables end up there.
Ecosse cable also do a budget mains cable but have not tried that.
Then there is MarkGrant cables who has very positive feedback on the forum.

just checked out Russ Andrews website. Some nice cables there. Yellow cable seems like a good deal. I'll see how mine go. The mains silencer could be good if it's as good as they say it is.

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom