1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chubben, Aug 6, 2003.

1. chubben

chubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm on the look-out for some floorstanders in the lower price range, the models I've been looking at (and in some cases listened to) are:

Audio Pro Ego 515
    Audio Pro Evidence E5
    Gale 3030 and 3040
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 and 8.4

Price-wise the Gale are cheapest here.. but the difference is not much between all speakers. So I wonder if any of you have had the chance to listen/tried any of the aboev speakers.. and what is your recommendation?

The room they will be used in is around 25 m2. And oh, plan on complementing the main ones with surround and center too.. in the future.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Whats your max budget?
    You might be better off going ex demo or s/hand. You'll certainly get a lot more for your money.
    Mission M73i's are a great budget floorstander and hard to beat in this price range. I suggest you give them a demo to compare with the kit you already have listened to.
    Do you definately want floorstanders? You could get better quality bookshelf/standmounts for the budget.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the M73i's are pretty descent in this price-range. They're available for around £120 too.

I'd say they're outperformed by the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3s and certainately the 8.4s - but they cost a fair bit more.

4. chubben

chubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm.. well my budget is pretty limited to those.. and I live in Sweden.. so prices are a bit different than in the UK or US.

The Gales are cheapest at around £120 and £190
    Diamond 8.4 are £263
    Audio Pro Evidence E5 are £300.

I listened once more to the Gales today.. and have ruled them out.. good speakers for the price.. but they sound too harsch for me.

Floorstanders are not a definite.. listened to B&W 303 today and DALI Blue 2002.. and found them both to be great. They both go for £210 here.

I'm leaning towards the B&W as they are less colored than the DALI... opinions?

Mission is really hard to find here... no hifi-store carries them afaik.. in Stockholm at least.