• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Budget L Shaped Room Advice

kyle123

Standard Member
We're about to move into a new house with an odd shaped lounge, I've currently got a cheap projector, cheap single box receiver and surround system and I'm looking for something a bit better that my girlfriend will tolerate. I also need to keep costs down, I'm no audiophile by any stretch and easily pleased, but would still like something fairly good and a step up from what I've got now.

I've also got a 2 year old so anything free standing is a no go, and this has to pass the girlfriend "hidden away" test. This is what I'm currently thinking, but I'm very open to ideas and suggestions, the odd shaped room makes things a bit difficult as does us wanting to keep our existing corner sofa.

I'm going to mount the projector in a box on the ceiling above the sofa and project onto the opposite wall. I'm thinking of boxing out the opposite wall to incorporate 3 speakers behind an AT fixed projector screen. Something like 3 CP-WT140LCRs mounted behind a 100" Spitfire Premier (to allow for 4k when I eventually upgrade the projector). I'm going to build a unit below the screen with a motorised lift for my TV so that it's in-front of the screen when not projecting and put something like a CW8 sub into the unit.

I know that the sofa agains the wall isn't ideal, but I don't have much choice, I thought that the on wall sound frames 1 on either side of the sofa on the side walls would work as surrounds and two ceiling mounted CP-CT150s to complete a 5.1.2 solution, completed with a Denon AVR X2700H. We'll use the screen mostly for movies and Netflix etc and the primary driver will probably be a ps5.

How does all that sound? I'm very much a beginner to all this, but since we need to redo the lounge wanted to take the opportunity to put something in that is better than I currently have without breaking the bank!

Any advice would be much appreciated, as would any other ideas on laying out the room

Attachments

• Screenshot_01.jpg
    Screenshot_01.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 49

kyle123

Standard Member
Much appreciated, yes, that's what I'm thinking. Having spoken to the gaffer, she now wants a drop down screen in front of the window. So It's looking like a non AT dropdown screen and 3 speakers around.

Does this sound ok?

Front Centre:
CP-WT240LCR
L/R Fronts:
2x CP-WT260
Rears:
2x SoundFrame 3 On-Wall
Height:
2x CP-CT150
Sub: MRW-10

AV Receiver: Denon x2700H

I'm a bit confused on power outputs and whether this receiver is powerful enough for this set up. Does it look ok?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom