Budget Integrated Amps to drive AE300 speakers?

FZ1

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm a long-time reader, but first time poster.

I appreciate that the threads on here can get off-topic very quickly, so I'll try and keep my question simple and to the point. First, some background:
  • I only listen to stereo, no surround sound
  • My sources are a turntable and CD player; I like a very simple system
  • I may use streaming in the future, but its absolutely not a priority for me now
  • My living/listening room is approx 6m x 4m x 2.5m with soft furnishings
  • I have to listen at fairly low loudness because I have adjoining neighbours
  • I have a pair of AE300 speakers, bookshelf mounted [1]
  • I need a new "budget" integrated amp, pref with tone controls [2]
[1] - Yes, I know they shouldn't be shelf mounted, but it is what it is; no I can't stand mount them.

[2] - Yes, I know tone controls are only for old people went out years ago, but just humour me please - I AM old and I like what I'm familiar with! :D

OK, background covered:

I need a basic integrated amp to drive the relatively insensitive AE300s (86dB). I've looked at lots of different options, but I'm currently shortlisting:
  • Marantz PM6007
  • NAD C316BEE V2
  • Audiolabs 6000A (no tone controls, but could use EQ between pre and power stages)

My question (finally) is:
Will these amps drive the AE300s well enough for me to listen at low/mid loudness, or do I need the next step-up in power? (e.g PM8006, etc)

Thanks in advance.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The Rotel RA11 or RA12 would be great choices.

All the inputs you need and plenty of current for good speaker control.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you’re happy with used then this would also do a mighty job.

3rdignis

Max listening distance 2.8m

Max listening distance 4m

FZ1

Novice Member
Thanks folks.

More to add to the list of possibles, but does anyone fancy having a crack at the original question?

i.e. will these amps drive the AE300s well enough for me to listen at low/mid loudness, or do I need the next step-up in power? (e.g PM8006, etc)
  • Marantz PM6007
  • NAD C316BEE V2
  • Audiolabs 6000A
Thanks

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
I'd add the yamaha as501 to the list, it has tone controls and a loudness setting for lower listening levels. Should drive the AE300s, as I have one driving kef R3s which are 87db sensitivity.

Would see if you can demo any amps with your speakers, dealers will have no issue taking yours with you.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Thanks folks.

More to add to the list of possibles, but does anyone fancy having a crack at the original question?

i.e. will these amps drive the AE300s well enough for me to listen at low/mid loudness, or do I need the next step-up in power? (e.g PM8006, etc)
  • Marantz PM6007
  • NAD C316BEE V2
  • Audiolabs 6000A
Thanks

Non of the above are very potent. The Nad has a good power supply for its size, but it is a small amp in terms of output.

The Marantz, again, not a powerhouse.

And the Audiolab has been questioned on its power supply with difficult speakers, noticably the Kef LS50s.

Any of the above will drive the speakers, but I think the 300s are good enough to need a bit more.

The Musical Fidelity posted by @3rdignis above is a great bargain at that price and would be an excellent choice.

FZ1

Novice Member
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

For the record, I ended-up with a Yam A-S501 with and really pleased with it. I appreciate that its an old design and might not be up with some of the other recommendations, but it's got enough grunt for the speakers and has tone knobs for me to fiddle with, so suits me fine.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

For the record, I ended-up with a Yam A-S501 with and really pleased with it. I appreciate that its an old design and might not be up with some of the other recommendations, but it's got enough grunt for the speakers and has tone knobs for me to fiddle with, so suits me fine.
Its an excellent amp, and is built like a tank. Think its quite underrated as it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does its job well.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom