Budget in wall tv speakers

samt5108

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am planning to build a false wall to inset my tv into, at the same time I would like to inset speakers and possible a subwoofer into the wall too so all I see is neat white grills, not looking for surround sound or anything, bearing in mind I’m used to just a standard soundbar and sub set up so nothing too fancy and works fine for me. Would like them to have a decent sound and to be used for music too so possible an amp with Bluetooth built in. The amp would be mounted behind tv along with sky box. The room is 25m2
New TV will be 70”
And from a quick search online I’m thinking something like this?

please tell me if 2 of these would not be enough or suggest something more suitable. Would I need a seperate sub? And amp recommendations?
As much as I’d love surround sound I don’t want to chase out any side walls or cut channels in the ceiling, so it all needs to be in the tv false wall.

many thanks

You could look at our Fisual LCR which is its a great performing in-wall LCR or as you have found the Monitor Audio W150-LCR which on spec isn't that different although does cost a few pounds more :)

Two of these would be fine, however a woofer is a must as you might have already guessed to bring them to life as on their own, they will not give you the grunt that you get from a larger free standing speaker especially in such a large room

Will the woofer need to be in wall?

As for amp, have you one in mind?

Last edited:
I can't comment on those specific speakers but I do have some ceiling speakers from the same range that have surpassed my expectations so I'd expect the in walls to be OK if not much better.

Don't skimp on the wall, I did a similar project with an even smaller budget (second hand speakers from here, a pair of old Linn in wall speakers cost me less than one of the MA speakers) and I've been very happy with the results. I made an effort to make the false wall as solid and rigid as I could and I think it absolutely paid off.

I would suggest you will want a sub though, personally I went for a standalone sub so I don't have any experience to offer for IW subs.

You could look at our Fisual LCR which is its a great performing in-wall LCR or as you have found the Monitor Audio W150-LCR which on spec isn't that different although does cost a few pounds more :)

Two of these would be fine, however a woofer is a must as you might have already guessed to bring them to life as on their own, they will not give you the grunt that you get from a larger free standing speaker especially in such a large room

Will the woofer need to be in wall?

As for amp, have you one in mind?

That’s great thank you!

inthiugh the sun would be a must, in which case yes ideally id like it in the wall, I’m happy to make a built in box in the wall for it and same for the speakers if it gives them a better sound. Or as a last resort the sub could go in one of the recessed shelves I’ll be forming on each side of the wall, but I’d rather not (see pics of rough example of what I’m creating)

as for amp no I don’t have one in mind that’s where I’m lost, needs to be mounted to the wall behind tv, to be controlled by the tv remote so would that mean it would need the optical input or HDMI or what? And ideally have Bluetooth for playing music from my phone. But this isn’t a must as I have Spotify on my TV anyway.
Thanks again
CA5D1231-AC87-405B-93B4-069210D29971.jpeg
B2E170DD-0CA3-4146-9175-662E1F6BE526.jpeg

Ok so far I’ve decided on this set,
56791938-7E22-4C60-B663-A68A4E0E4A90.png

left-centre-right for speakers
And 2 ceiling speakers for above/behind sofas.
can you recommend a slimline subwoofer? If not I think I’ll have to make my own box.

and an amplifier, to take all 5 speakers and a subwoofer?

thanks

Q Acoustics are one of only a hand full of subwoofer manufacturers who produce a slimline subwoofer, although these are free standing units and not designed to go inside another box which could mute/muffle it

As for an AV Receiver, I really would suggest looking at something which is slimline like to two I have shown. Do note that with AV Receivers, you cannot stand it on its side or vertically as this will stop the correct heat flow of the electronics and could damage it due to improper usage. You also need to be aware that they will also require a level of space above for the heat to dissipate to allow the product to run correctly.

As for an in-wall subwoofer, you are looking at these as a selection, they will require a separate amplifier so that you can plug it into the LFE connection via an RCA cable. The Monitor Audio IWA-250 has been designed as one such product

So, depending on you're overall budget, you will find that the amplifier and built-in subwoofer (Due to the additional amp required to power it) will push your budget, if you can however hide a free standing active woofer like the Q Acoustics one linked above, you will save yourself a few more pounds. With this subwoofer, there is also an option to mount it to the wall, you if you have an area where it can live, you can use this product to where it will look right, then that would be your cheapest option

Hope that gives you a little more to think about :)

That’s very helpful thanks!
So am I right in thinking of I got a freestanding one like the Q acoustics, I would need an additional amp and could just plug in it to the same amp I’m using for the rest of the speakers?

i was looking for amp recommendations such as a 5.1 surround that would take all the speakers and a sub.

As the Q Acoustics is an "active subwoofer" (hence why I recommended it as its the easiest option for you) then no additional external amplifier would be required to drive the subwoofer whereas if you went for one of the "passive" solutions, this would then need something like the Monitor Audio IWA-250 amplifier.

So something like the Marantz NR1711 with the Q Acoustics Slimline subwoofer plus the five in-wall speaker, then this would be fine with only your speaker, woofer and HDMI cables required

Awesome! Thanks a lot! Can’t wait to get it all set up

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom