Budget home cinema sub

F

Fusion

I'm after a subwoofer, has to be relatively inexpensive. I've seen two in particular that look quite decent:

Celestion S8

Gale 3080

Both are 100w RMS active. I don't really want to spend more than £200 (tight student, got it hard etc ;)):p

Let me know what you think to the above, or if you have any suggestions. Cheers!

I would suggest neither the Gale nor the Celestion but that you try and make your cash go round further by buying a second hand REL, MJ Acoustics or Paradigm which are in a completely different class to the boom boxes that you are referring to.

Originally posted by Ian J
I would suggest neither the Gale nor the Celestion but that you try and make your cash go round further by buying a second hand REL, MJ Acoustics or Paradigm which are in a completely different class to the boom boxes that you are referring to.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to audio hardware. Will those in the link I pointed out really dissapoint? Thanks once again.

They will make a loud noise, most of which will be distortion but they will be terrible with music as the bass notes won't keep time with everything else.

Unfortunately it is impossible to build a decent subwoofer cheaply

Fusion,

I was in a similar situation to you quite a while ago, i would suggest save your mony for the time being.

Certainly go for the second hand, ex-demo models mentioned by Ian if you can find them.

In my opinion a decent sub is one of the single best purchases you can make, if you are using it for home cinema.

try and dem the subs you have short listed with a few more models, I heard a B&W sub, not sure on the model, retails about £350ish, this may be a good second bargain.

I heard it in a 10ft by 12ft room (rough dimensions), it was very good for the size, only heard it with music though.

not sure how it would do with the LFE in a dvd.

Try and get some demos for yourself, then decide if it wise to spend £200, as you may end up upgrading it in the near future anyway.

I have Velodyne Vx-10, an excellent budget sub which was quite highly thought of, though perhaps not politically correct :clown:

You should be able to pick one up for around £220

Hope this helps :)

You might even be able to pick up a s/h Velodyne CHT-10 for around your budget. Check out the classified adds on this forum, you might be lucky.

Mark.

Originally posted by Stew
I have Velodyne Vx-10, an excellent budget sub which was quite highly thought of, though perhaps not politically correct :clown:

Nothing politically incorrect at all and forum sponsors AV Sales sell a lot of Velodynes but the VX-10 is now discontinued.

So you should be able to pick one up even cheaper! :smashin:

If you're after a sub purely for HT then definately go for a Paradigm PS1000 off ebay. You can get these for a steal - around £150. There's nothing near that price that can give you anything like the output.

Sounds fairly decent with music too :)

hope you don't mind me posting in your thread Fusion, complete sub newb here, I've been looking at the Mordaunt Short MS309 for £250 but i've seen a Rel Strata 2 FS @ £275 (secondhand)......better to go for that? and is £275 ok or overpriced? any advice much appreciated

thanks for the quick reply :smashin: it's quite an old sub though isn't it...is there anything that can 'go wrong' with them?

I suppose that the driver can wear out and the electronics can go but REL's tend to be well engineered and replacement parts won't cost the earth anyway

If you've got a day to spare, subs are the easiest speakers to build from a kit, and you'll probably pay about half what a comparable ready-made unit would cost you.

I built the IPL SW2

wouldn't mind building one of them :) if I lived in Devon i'd be round there tomorrow :D

Originally posted by ancientgeek
If you've got a day to spare, subs are the easiest speakers to build from a kit, and you'll probably pay about half what a comparable ready-made unit would cost you.

I built the IPL SW2

Hi,

Cheers, I would never would have thought of this! Would you say it sounds better than say the B&W Asw675 ?

And do you have to do a lot of soldering?

thanks

Hello,

Always be weary of buying a second hand sub. I have just bought one and wish that I had'nt. Was it damaged in transit or was it sold with a burnt out coil? We will find out soon..................

Ajax.

Would you say it sounds better than say the B&W Asw675 ?

Haven't a clue. I did no comparative listening tests. Listening tests are important if you are buying a complete system from one supplier, but a DIY route can move you up to a better level for the same money. "choose, buy and accept" becomes "choose, build, tweak and accept". I'm very happy with my results. I have difficulty staying in most "hifi" shops for more than twenty seconds; I find them extremely oppressive and the "advice" pretty ignorant!

I see no reason to doubt the designer's claim that you would need to spend £700 to get something comparable ready-made.

I bought a Tannoy MxSUB10 from www.petertyson.co.uk for £170, which I'm pretty satisfied with for now.

Dav

Hav alook in the classfiedds, theres a Velodyne CHT-10 for sale at £240, if you are still after a sub.

Worth a look IMHO.

Originally posted by ancientgeek
I see no reason to doubt the designer's claim that you would need to spend £700 to get something comparable ready-made.

Perhaps to get all the business of people thinking of forking out that much money? If he said you would get comparable peformance to stuff costing up to £400 then people in the £400-£700 market would look elsewhere....

Just a thought!:rotfl:

Originally posted by aliflack
Perhaps to get all the business of people thinking of forking out that much money?

I have never heard the sub but have no reason to doubt the claims. If he is selling kits direct to the public he will want to make a profit but on the other hand subwoofers sold via traditional retail channels will need to make a profit for the manufacturer plus retailer and if the unit is imported, a third profit for the importer / distributor will have to be built in.

yamaha sw305. should be around £150 and you get 200w and 2 8" drivers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom