1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget "HiFi" with headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Magnus, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Magnus

Magnus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...
    I have decided to get a budget HiFi system without speakers. Instead I will use pretty good headphones (Philips HP-890), because my room (and my neighbours) makes "loudspeaker-HiFi" impossible. Furthermore it's cheaper, which is important to me...

Anyway. Here's some questions on the issue:

Is it possible to get good sound...
    ...directly from a budget CD-players headphone jack (eg. Sony CDP-XE570)?
    2. ...directly from a budget DVD-players headphone jack (eg. Samsung DVD-324)?
    3. ...by combining any of the above with a budget stereo amp (eg. Sony TA-FE570) and using its headphone jack?
    4. ...directly from a good CD-receivers headphone jack (eg. Denon UD-M30)?
    5. ...from another budget solution? (<£250)

My definition of good sound is rather "maximum sound for the money", than "best quality money can buy", but off course quality is important... Otherwise I'd stick with my current Philips mini-combo...

All comments appreciated!
    Thanks alot.
    //Magnus

2. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you only intend to use headphones, why not get a dedicated headphone amp, like MF's X-CanV2 which is about £150 (I think). That will give you the best quality from any one source, i.e. your CD player, you put through it at that price range IMO.
    http://www.musical-fidelity.co.uk/products/xponents/

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would be almost certain your best option isto get a reasonable cd player and combine with a headphone amp such as the MF, or i personally use a creek amp. The sound will be far better than using headphone jacks on any player or normal amp.

Ad

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The headphone amps in most disc players and budget AV amps are pretty poor efforts. If you are going to do a lot of headphone listening then it is definately worth getting a good headphone amp, like buns has said.

I can also add the Rega Heaphone amp (£118) and the new Project amp (£150) to the recommended list.

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i would have to 2nd the Project offering, it has 3 line nputs and 2 headphones outputs, not sure why? the musical fidelity is very nice as well!