Budget HiFi - Help choosing a amplifier/AV receiver!

linuxthefish

Novice Member
I have just bought some fully working JVC speakers at a car boot sale, with a "Power handling capacity" of 60W and 120W for music. I have been running them on a friend's 100W Sony amplifier and they sound great.

I need to buy a amplifier or receiver for them, but I don't know what to choose! My small budget is £350, as I am only a student. I have had a look at the Yamaha AS500 in my local Richer Sounds shop, but have been thinking about Cambridge 351A or even a 651A.

On the other hand, I have also been looking at Sony STR-DH520 AV receiver, though I only have two speakers! :(

dante01

Distinguished Member
This particular section of the board deals with multichannel AV amps and receivers. If lloking for a stereo integrated amp then you would be better off posting your question in the relevant forum here:
Hi Fi Systems & Separates | AVForums.com - UK Online

Other than that, your budget would afford you a Marantz PM6004, but your speakers are not exactly of the same kind of standard you'd usually pair with such an amp. You'd normally pair an amp at this level with a pair of speakers costing somewhere in the region of £600 - 800.

Also consider the NAD C 316BEE or C326 and the Rotel RA10.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom