Mcgreen

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of speakers for my setup at Uni. I want a pair that sound quality but don't distort at loud volumes (obviously for uni parties).

I have seen some Mission 732's and also some Tannoy Mercury MK2's locally both at around £60.
Both have a fairly decent sensitivity, would these be good options?

(also some Pioneer S-X430's but I don't think they're in the same league as the other two)

So, that is your budget? £60/pr?

You are kind of limited at that budget.

I would suggest, if you are looking at used speakers, you look at the more common Monitor Audio BRONZE, or perhaps the SILVER. These have been made for decade, and you should find a lot of them. The Bronze some in a 5" and a 6.5" version, and the Silver come in a 6" and an 8" version.

Also try finding the Wharfedale Diamond 220 (5") or the 225 (6.5"). If at all possible try to find speaker with 6.5" bass drivers, or if you have space and get lucky, speakers with 8" bass driver.

Though there were only around for a short time, the Diamond 121 (5" and the Diamond 122 (6.5") are worth keeping an eye out for.

There may even be older version of the Wharfedale Diamond available. The Diamond 9.1 is a 5" and the Diamond 9.2 is a 6.5".

You might try the Bowers-Wilkins 600 Series, they have also been around for generations, and should be available in both 5" and 6.5" versions.

Shopping for used speaker is something of a Crap Shoot. You are at the mercy of the seller and how honest he is. And you are at the mercy of your ability to judge equipment.

Though well beyond your budget, here are some speakers that seem to do a lot and sound good.

The Tannoy Mercury is also several generations old, and there should be models for each generation or series available used.

Mission has a long history and there should be several variation of the Mission speakers available.

Edifier R2000DB Active Speakers - RCA AUX, Optical In, Bluetooth, Remote Control - £212/pr -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R2000DB-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Multiple/dp/B07CHQM8B7/

R2000DB Bookshelf Speaker With Bluetooth, Optical and RCA Inputs

Yes, I know, that's a lot of money, but it is also a lot of speaker. The Optical in allows you to connect digitally to a computer or to the Digital Output of a TV. The RCA Aux allows a direct connect to any Smart Phone, Tablet/Pad, or Computer, and Bluetooth allows you to stream music directly from your Smart Phone, Tablet/Pad, or any Bluetooth enabled device.

There is another variation of the Edifier that would work better if your desktop space is limited -

Edifier S350DB 2.1 Speaker system, Aux, Optical, Bluetooth - £249/set -

Edifier S350DB Bookshelf Speakers With Subwoofer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-Bookshelf-Subwoofer-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B077Y6PHKQ/

Again, well over you budget, but pretty sweet speakers.

I think what you really want is a budget about 5 TIMES Bigger. Though sadly we all know and understand lack of funds; we've all been there.

Steve/bluewizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
All passive speakers will distort at party volumes. The only way to push the distortion to a higher volume is with a amplifier with enormous control.

What are you using as an amp?

I am looking for a pair of speakers for my setup at Uni. ...

You are looking at Passive speakers so I'm wondering what you are using for an AMP?

The Edifier Speakers I suggested, though expensive, have amps built in, as well as the other features I mentioned.

Though again, somewhat crushing your budget, here is a very nice very compact amp with internal DAC and Bluetooth -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AD18-Bluetooth-Digital-Decoding-Amplifier/dp/B01M3ULDG9/

Shenzhen ShuangMuSanLin Electronic - SMSL AD-18 Amplfier

The real power to 8 ohms is about 40w/ch to 45w/ch but that's fine.

And while I know I am taking you WAY over budget, here are some new speakers to consider -

Monitor Audio Bronze 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Dali Spektor 2 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Monitor 100 Speakers (Pair)

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Here are some speaker that are bargain price, but should hold up pretty well, and should work with a modest amp -

Cambridge Audio SX80 (Walnut)

Cambridge Audio SX60 (Walnut)

The Cambridge SX60 with 6.5" bass driver (41hz) and a modest price of £129/pr should do a very good job. That's about the best in that price range.

Cambridge Audio SX50 (Walnut)

I would say in a new speaker from a reputable company, you probably can't do better than the Cambridge SX60 for £129/pr. That's also a pretty fair discount considering they retail for £299/pr -

Cambridge Audio - SX-60 Bookshelf Speakers

Cambridge_Audio_SX60_Walnut copy.png

They are available in Black if that matters to you.

Just a few ...admittedly very expensive... thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
You are looking at Passive speakers so I'm wondering what you are using for an AMP?

The Edifier Speakers I suggested, though expensive, have amps built in, as well as the other features I mentioned.

Though again, somewhat crushing your budget, here is a very nice very compact amp with internal DAC and Bluetooth -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AD18-Bluetooth-Digital-Decoding-Amplifier/dp/B01M3ULDG9/

Shenzhen ShuangMuSanLin Electronic - SMSL AD-18 Amplfier

The real power to 8 ohms is about 40w/ch to 45w/ch but that's fine.

And while I know I am taking you WAY over budget, here are some new speakers to consider -

Monitor Audio Bronze 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Dali Spektor 2 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Monitor 100 Speakers (Pair)

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Here are some speaker that are bargain price, but should hold up pretty well, and should work with a modest amp -

Cambridge Audio SX80 (Walnut)

Cambridge Audio SX60 (Walnut)

The Cambridge SX60 with 6.5" bass driver (41hz) and a modest price of £129/pr should do a very good job. That's about the best in that price range.

Cambridge Audio SX50 (Walnut)

I would say in a new speaker from a reputable company, you probably can't do better than the Cambridge SX60 for £129/pr. That's also a pretty fair discount considering they retail for £299/pr -

Cambridge Audio - SX-60 Bookshelf Speakers

Cambridge_Audio_SX60_Walnut copy.png

They are available in Black if that matters to you.

Just a few ...admittedly very expensive... thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for your reply, although your suggestions are very welcome, I thought that if you had a small budget the best value for money with passive speakers is to buy second hand / a few generations old from a reputable company.
Both those speakers I quoted were a few hundred pounds back in the day when they were new. I was just wondering if they would be worth going for (because lets be real, £60 is cheap).

All passive speakers will distort at party volumes. The only way to push the distortion to a higher volume is with a amplifier with enormous control.

What are you using as an amp?

I am running a Technics SU-XU102 amplifier, but also have a Yamaha RX-V630RDS receiver lying around which I can use too.

Maybe keep a look out in the classifieds speaker section to see if any of the speakers mentioned above "good fellows" become available. All of them will be better than a new pair of speakers worth just £60. If you can find some old Monitor Audio Silver or Bronze speakers, you'll be onto a winner. Just remember, poor watts at highish to high volume can and most likely will equal dead speakers regardless of cost...

These are the Amp you have available to you -

Technics SU-X102, 40w/ch -

Technics SU-X102 - Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine

Technics SU-X102 - Hi-Fi Database - Amplifiers

Yamaha RX-V620, 75w/ch -

Yamaha RX-V630

The advantage of the AV Receiver, besides more power, would be the fact that it has Bass Management, meaning you could very easily add a Subwoofer to it and take some of the strain off the Front Speakers. Although this is an older Receiver that does not have HDMI, but there are ways to work around that.

As to speakers, we need a clear statement of budget.

Certainly you can get some good used speakers for modest money, but you have to examine them carefully if they are too old. With older speakers, the Surround Rings, which is that foam or rubber ring that attaches the Cone to the Frame. These can not only deteriorate, then can actually disintegrated.

Newer speakers like the Monitor Audio Bronze BR1, BX1, or BR2, BX2, or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, 9.2, 121, 122, 220, 225 or B&W 686, 685, or other 600 Series speakers can do a very good job.

Any speaker brand that is good today was probably good in the past, so certainly there are used speakers that will do a good job ...if the surrounds are not deteriorating, and if the drivers are not damaged or blown.

Not that familiar with the Mission, but the 700 Series seems to be pretty good, and there are a lot of them still around. The New Misson LX are highly rated too.

Lastly, what do you mean by Party Volume Levels? There is a limit to what you can expect from any 5" or 6.5" speaker. This are not going to fill auditoriums. But they will fill a typical student housing room at loud but still reasonable levels. However, you absolutely can not expect demolition levels from a small speaker. You can't expect to win any rally races in a Moped car. Expectations have to be realistic.

Steve/bluewizard

Just my personal experience but I would avoid Mission speakers.
The tweeters are very delicate and have a habit of blowing and you cannot get spares. Mission 752 Freedoms and 753 Freedoms were better but still known to blow up for no apparent reason.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom