1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

budget headphones for sony md

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rambler, Dec 29, 2004.

1. rambler

rambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, i am looking to buy a pair of headphones (plus a second pair in the future for my other daughter) for my daughter's sony md portable mz-r410. i found this site after looking at sony clip-on's and read on one thread that these were no good and to look at koss porta pro's, sporta pro's or one of the beyer dynamic models - but cant find this thread again. My limit is £35-£40. We would like them to be the type which fits on the ear rather than in the ear and would like to use them for the girls hi-fi,tv,games machine, as well as their portable. Thanks for your help.

2. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Sporta Pros, the standard Porta Pros rip some of your hair out every time you put them on...

Outstanding bass and overall sound.

4. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audio-Technica ATH-FC7 Headphones
    These headphones are really good for the money. I would recomend these phones to any audiophile looking for an inexpensive pr of headphones to use. :smashin:

5. rambler

rambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha!Ha! Ouch! That had me cringing and laughing at the same time..:D

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The PX100 are certainly more daughter-friendly than the Koss phones. Another daughter-friendly phone which is much better than it should be is the Sony MDR-G74SL. Previous Street Styles sucked. This is actually quite clear and impactful... and are more efficient than the PX100, which means more beats per milliwatt (something which Minidiscs are severely limited in).

8. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Just get whichever ones look the best, are fairly comfortable and affordable to you. I dont think they'll give a stuff what they sound like, as long as they are better than stock buds (which they will be).

:)

9. rambler

rambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info to everyone - i will try to find about all phones mentioned and will take all advice in- did not quite understand about minidiscs being severely limited in beats per milliwat- from "extremelydodgy" - i thought that would be to do with the machines amp and power output not the disc or type of system -but i get the idea -they seem to need efficient phones to work at their best

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    That may have been a bit obtuse. MD's and especially european-model Sony MD's have very limited on-board amp power for headphones when compared to hard disk players for example (although once again, Sony's weedy HDD players are exempt from this rule).

The reason for european models being particularly limited is that there's an EU directive which recommends that players generate no more than 100db as an absolute maximum with the supplied earphones. The problem with using alternative phones is that the supplied earphones are usually very efficient, so replacing them with something less so (like the PX100) will result in a significant volume drop-off. The MDR-G74SL is one of the most efficient low-cost headphone I've heard. There are also other factors influencong how much music you actually get in your ear (isolation for one... the PX200 is the only effective low-cost portable phone which provides some degree of that) but efficiency is a good place to look.

11. rambler

rambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that the difference would not be too much and have ordered 2 px100 phones - my daughters dont like the volume too high so i hope they will be ok. got them in stock and inc p&p for £25 each from empire. thanks for all replies.

12. rambler

rambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ordered 2 px100 headphones for my 2 daughters sony md players - i have since read that md players are not very efficient - limited to 100db with supplied earphones and that the sound level will be lower with the px100. can anyone reasure me that they will be ok or should i try to change my order to more efficient phones

13. Brit Rocker

Brit Rocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They should be OK. I've been using them with my MD player and they can get fairly loud (if you like it like that). I've found changing the equaliser to +1 bass and +1 treble is the best all round set up for these headphones on Sony MD's.

Hope this helps.

14. rambler

rambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again to everone who replied - i have sent for the phones and i'm sure they'll be fine - if not i can return them for the price of the postage. Have a Guid New Year.