1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Wilster, May 31, 2003.

1. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Well I took the plunge after reading forums here for a few weeks and Ive built myself a budget HCPC. Its quiet and fast enough for my needs so far, heres a quick list of what I have:

Gigabyte Radeon 9000 ~ 50 quid, fanless radeon with tv out. Decent SVHS lead needed if u want TV out to look any good on a tv.
    MSI KM2M Combo L mobo ~ 50 quid, KM266 mATX mobo (has sdram support and I had some about already :) )
    AXP 1700+ ~ 40 quid
    10Gb toshiba laptop hdd - just sitting about at home, put to good use and is completely silent mounted between two bits of foam :)

From PCNextday, cheap and worthy budget hcpc bits!

Silent Breeze HSF ~ 10 quid, 19db at 12v!
    Yeong Yang mATX black case ~ 20 quid, not pretty but serviceable
    230w PSU ~ 20 quid, v quiet
    Inno3d Cmedia sound card ~15 quid

All in about 200 quid so far. Am going to get a slim dvdrom convertor and mount a laptop dvd drive in it in a couple of weeks, should be an extra 10 or 15 quid and Im done for the mo.

Issues: Sound Card! cant seem to pass thru AC3 :( Any ideas as to what I could get?

Hope someone finds this info useful :)

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Cmedia chipset does pass DD and DTS you have to make sure you've installed the control panel applet for it and then in the advanced settings there is a cjeckbox for enable spdif.

3. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have checked everything and managed to get it to work now, thanks :) Not sure quite what was up as as far as I can tell its all set the same way still, but its working so Im happy! I dont suppose you know if its possible to get both AC3 pass through via spdif and stereo analogue out at the same time? I get the feeling it might be possible to do with zoomplayer and graphedit but havent managed it so far.