Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Budget HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Wilster, May 31, 2003.

1. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Well I took the plunge after reading forums here for a few weeks and Ive built myself a budget HCPC. Its quiet and fast enough for my needs so far, heres a quick list of what I have:

Gigabyte Radeon 9000 ~ 50 quid, fanless radeon with tv out. Decent SVHS lead needed if u want TV out to look any good on a tv.
    MSI KM2M Combo L mobo ~ 50 quid, KM266 mATX mobo (has sdram support and I had some about already :) )
    AXP 1700+ ~ 40 quid
    10Gb toshiba laptop hdd - just sitting about at home, put to good use and is completely silent mounted between two bits of foam :)

From PCNextday, cheap and worthy budget hcpc bits!

Silent Breeze HSF ~ 10 quid, 19db at 12v!
    Yeong Yang mATX black case ~ 20 quid, not pretty but serviceable
    230w PSU ~ 20 quid, v quiet
    Inno3d Cmedia sound card ~15 quid

All in about 200 quid so far. Am going to get a slim dvdrom convertor and mount a laptop dvd drive in it in a couple of weeks, should be an extra 10 or 15 quid and Im done for the mo.

Issues: Sound Card! cant seem to pass thru AC3 :( Any ideas as to what I could get?

Hope someone finds this info useful :)

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Cmedia chipset does pass DD and DTS you have to make sure you've installed the control panel applet for it and then in the advanced settings there is a cjeckbox for enable spdif.

3. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have checked everything and managed to get it to work now, thanks :) Not sure quite what was up as as far as I can tell its all set the same way still, but its working so Im happy! I dont suppose you know if its possible to get both AC3 pass through via spdif and stereo analogue out at the same time? I get the feeling it might be possible to do with zoomplayer and graphedit but havent managed it so far.