Budget front speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hostile 17, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have a 5.1 Eltax Universe system for my bedroom. It sounds fine for the size of my room but I'd like to replace my front speakers with something a bit better and I will then move my original front speakers to the rears and take one of my rears and make it a center back meaning I upgrade to 6.1 aswell.
    Anyway, I'm drifting off topic. I have £150 and would be grateful if anyone could recommend some front speakers for that price. I want to buy them online aswell so links would be useful.
    Thanks!

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    Ideally you'd want to stay with Eltax for speaker matching, so I would suggest Eltax Liberty 5+ from Richersounds. As per your current speakers,these are freestanding but slightly more sensitive, beefy, bi-wireable and have had some very favourable reviews!
    You don't mention what other kit you are using amp, dvd player etc, though you must have a decent sized bedroom to be able to use your currrent fronts as rears :eek: :thumbsup:

3. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh, it's fairly big. As for my amp it's Sony DB790. I really feel that my speakers don't seem pushed. Films sound great but music isn't really cutting it.
    Will my current floorstanders be ok as rears or will that be a waste of two perfectly good fronts?

So far I've come across...

Eltax Millenium 500
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=10PuVP2kZ8iU&vp=6&bg=216&bp=m5006&bi=0

Mission M33
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=10PuWh3jIauY&vp=6&bg=216&bp=m336&bi=0

Wharfedale Diamond 8.3
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=10PuWK2l-Oxa&vp=6&bg=216&bp=diamond6&bi=0

Sony 450
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_14737.html

I would like some more opinions and ideas if possible. Also some opinions of the above 3 pairs. Also is my current centre going to sound crap when matched with new speakers?

4. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Advice, PLEASE? :lease:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    What Zone said

6. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Eltax Libertys? Are none of the speakers I'd chosen good?

7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    I don’t think it’s a case of the other speakers not being any good.
    Most here would agree that all speakers should be of the same make even same product line, especially the front three for timbre matching, not so important for the rears IMO unless multi channel music is your thing then I would suggest matching the lot.

You mention that your speakers don’t appear to be pushed??

Not sure what you mean, but having a look at the specs; your speakers are not the most sensitive available, that’s why I recommended the Liberty as they are some of the more “sensitive” Eltax speakers available, and looking at the spec’s for your amp it could do with the help!

I know its rated at 6x90w into 8ohm, but apparently when reviewed/tested by Home Cinema Choice it was measured at 5x65w into 8ohm which appears a little under powered, and I would suggest the Milleniums would be even harder to drive than your current speakers.

8. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks! I'm really not sure about the Liberty's though.
    The comment about my speakers was supposed to mean that I felt they wern't making the msot out of my amp. Music still just sounds a little flat, especially rock music. They're greta with any sort of hip hop or r'n'b but they arn't really my bag. Out of the other speakers which would you reccomend?

9. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    May also be the case that the amp isn't getting the best out of the speakers, AV amps are no substitute (especially in this price bracket) for a dedicated stereo amp.

No experience with then but looking at the specs (4ohm and 91db) I would suspect your Sony will have an even harder time running them.

Personally I think you have 3 choices.
    1.Live with your set up as is.
    2.Change your speakers for something with better sensitivity/8ohm and better.
    3.Change your amp for something more powerful/or attach a pre amp to run the front speakers/or buy a seperate stereo amp.

HTH

11. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the Sony has more than enough power for Eltax's. They are budget speakers, designed for budget amps.
    The Millenium 300s/500s would appear to be the best match acoustically for your Universe system. They sound pretty bad though, imo, for what you can get- £150 would get some Mission M33s. They give out a surprising amount of bass for a single drive unit and can be filled with sand for better midrange and bass separation whilst also improving bass extension.

the Diamond 8.3 Wharfedales would also be a fine match, but you'll find the sound is more midrange focused than bass and you would NEED a separate subwoofer. The Missions would probably give you enough if you have a small room.

Eltax do a reasonable subwoofer for £130 called the Atomic 10.2. Certainly a step or two ahead of the Yamaha YSTSW015 or equivalent Wharfedale subs. You may want to look into one at a later date.

Good luck

12. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Rozzar. I've already got an Eltax 8.2 runing with my system. I'm not really sure about the Missions to be honest, also I don't like the look of them.
    The bass given out by my Universe fronts isn't bad, it's the quality that's disappointing. It does actually sound like the music is coming out of a box.
    The Wharfedales look like an option but as you said Milleniums would be a better acoustic match. Have you, or anyone, heard the Milleniums? Also, are those Jamo speakers good?

13. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    Couple of questions.
    You now say it sounds like the music is coming out of a box (I’ll refrain from stating the obvious ;) ) but as movies sound great and its only music playback that sounds wrong I think you have simply come to realise and hear the limitations of an AV orientated amp.

That being said, how are you listening to music?
    In stereo or multi channel using DPLII etc; also are you employing any other processing effects such as hall, concert, theatre or whatever as IMO they are simply gimmicks and colour the sound terribly, I personally always listen to a stereo recording as it was intended.

Having also re-read the HCC review there appears to be a switch on the back of your amp that switches between 8 and 4 ohm loads so if you haven’t already, then set it to 4 as Eltax speakers usually have a nominal impedance of 6, this should give your amp an easier time.

14. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i've heard the Sony STRDB790 with several brands of speakers- Mission, Wharfedale, Mordaunt short and they've all been pretty good. its a nice amp. However, the Milleniums sound shocking, especially the Millenium 500s. You won't gain anything from the 300s. As the Milleniums appear similar to your set, according to the Eltax website, thats where you're getting the boxy sound from. Sorry.

You're the first person i've encountered who doesn't like the look of the Missions. They do them in beech, cherry and black you know. Get a set, run music in stereo, so its going through the Missions and your sub alone and you won't look back. You could consider a Mission centre later and move your Eltax to rear-centre duties. Missions are 8 ohms incidentally.
    I'm not usually a Mission fan tbh, but for value for money and for upfront tastes you can't go far wrong.

15. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I listen to music in stereo.
    Ok, so the milleniums don't look like the best choice. How about these Jamo's?