1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

budget floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tick Tock man, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Tick Tock man

Tick Tock man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, am looking for a new front three and really fancy getting a pair of floorstanders. Have always wanted them and have never been able to accommodate them until now.

I am restricted to budget floorstanders such as ms 904, tannoy mx3 etc.. and have noticed that most seem to be merely floorstanding versions of the top standmount in the range - ms website even describes the 904 as the "floorstanding version" of the 902.

What sonic advantages do these budget floorstanders have over their standmount counterparts mounted on decent stands? RS are doing th ms 902 for £150 and the 904 for £250, £100 could buy you some excellent stands with cash left over!

The B&W DM602.5 isn't event the floorstanding version of the top standmount in the range, the DM602, rather it is equatable to the next model down, the 601. the 602 which uses a larger driver is £50 less than the 602.5, seems a bit strange.

Some companies such as monitor audio seem to have realised that there is little point in this as they never made a bronze B3!

What are your thoughts?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    To be honest mate don't bother with budget floorstanders. The Acoustic Energy Evo 3s are ok and can be had for £280 from any Sevenoaks store. I would personally recommend getting a good pair of standmounters on really good stands. A good first choice would be the B&W 602s which at £300 and £100 for a pair of Atacama SE6s to put them would sound better then the 602.5s at the same price. Oher options to consider are the Kef Q1s and the new Q4s (a small floorstander), the Tannoy DC1s, the Mission 780 SEs the Monitor Audio S2s. If you purchase a reasonable mid range subwoofer around the £500-800 mark then you shouldn't ever need floorstanders.

3. Tick Tock man

Tick Tock man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I've got a ruark log rhythm sub which is pretty good.

Shielding is important as I will probably need to have the speakers a minimal distance from the TV. AV and Hi Fi use, and I really want something that can "kick it", something that can handle being driven hard.

Further thoughts very much appreciated.

Budget for front 3 including stands is £350ish. MS 902/903? AE Evo 1 + centre? MA bronze B2 +centre? Don't think B&W DM 602s are shielded. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Tick Tock Man,
    What size room have you got?
    A lot depends on that. A lot of people want to own floor standers, larger cabinets mean larger drivers making for deeper bass and of course they look nicer. But if your room is too small they can end up sounding worse than your standmounts.
    Monitor Audio do make some very nice speakers. The Silver series is outstanding. For sound versus value these are excellent speakers. The S2's although being standmounts do pack a nice heavy punch. Personally I prefer the MA's to B&W's they seem a little more controlled and refined.
    In your situation I would give serious consideration to buying a nice stand mount such as the s2 or the 602's with a good set of stands.
    If your room is big enough I may be selling my s6's soon.....
    Good luck

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You could also try the Quad 11l that will take 150w and really does 'Kick it' for a standmount. I think they retail at about £375.
    What equipment do you currently have?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I've recently upgraded my system from a set of B&W 600 series speakers and the 603's at the front were only about a foot from my origional TV (before I got the plasma) and caused no problems even although as you said they are not shielded. How far from the TV would you need to place the speakers?
    I also had a pair of the 602.5's for surrounds, and although not as good (obviously) as the 603's I still think they are good floorstanding speakers. Along with an LCR60 for centre and another one for surround back I think these speakers made a very good package for the money.

Now that the upgrade is done the above speakers are all redundent and will probably end up on eBay this weekend. If you would be interested in buying any/all of them then let me know and we can come to some arrangement. They are all in black and are the latest series 3 models and in excellent condition.

Mark.

7. Tick Tock man

Tick Tock man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is about 5m across and 4M deep, we sit about 2.5m away from the TV and front speakers.

Willing to go down the 2nd hand route but budget is really no more than £400 inc stands for the front 3.

I am building the system at the mo and the two bits of kit that I have and intend to keep are the ruark log rhythm and a bose acoustimass 3 which i have in a bay behind the sofa for 6th/7th channel duties. I know everyone slags off bose acoustimass but they are simply the only solution i could find to a lack of space behind the sofa and they sound pretty good to me, and i'm sure they are good enough to cope for back effects.

I'm pretty much decided on MA BFX as i like the fact that they are bi-pole, di-pole switchable. So why not go for B2 plus bronze centre i hear you cry? Well, i don't like the look of them and other half wants something silvery to match TV.

That's why I was thinking of MS904 or ms 902 plus stands - they get good reviews but can they "kick it" though? Tannoy sensys look quite nice though, seen sensys 1 + centre for £280, any good?

Amp is TBA, I am waiting for DPLIIx to become more affordable - will probably eventually plump for something from pio, yam, denon etc. when the time comes. Maybe it's arse about face to be buying speakers first but amp/receiver technology moves so much quicker than speaker technology and so makes sense to me to buy amp last so that you can get the very most for your money.

thanks for input.

8. Tick Tock man

Tick Tock man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info mate but looking for smehting silvery or failing that, light wood effect. Other half, enough said.

Speakers will be no closer than 1 foot away from TV, maybe 18 inches, will bear your comments about the 603s in mind.

Thanks.

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  11. Tick Tock man

Tick Tock man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your input. I've now come to the conclusion that i need to sod the budget and go for decent floorstanders. So, I bought an AE Aegis Evo centre today and will be getting the Evo 3s next month.

Thanks again.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have the MS914's, they are great speakers for the price, and equal speakers costing a great deal more.

The Accoustic Energy speakers you have chosen are also great speakers, so are the Quads mentioned earlier.

If I was going to get a pair of floor standers now, I'd probably go for the Kef Q7's, or maybe a pair of PMC's.

13. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm looking at getting some budget floorstanders(with matching center) as well (~300) I've looked at the mission's M34/M35 (although not yet demoed) and the monitor audio b4s and the aegis evo 3. (i looked at a tannoy that was fairly cheap and wasn't very impressed). I'm young (20) and like my bass, which the b4s seem to have a lot of compared to the aegis. is that correct?
    Is there much of a difference between the m34 and m35?

i'm hoping to hook this up to a denon probably 1705 (not 1905, is the 5w difference worth 50£s? i'm not going to use even 6.1 let alone 7.1, in fact not even a .1, keeping it cheap and the parents happy)
    i've looked at the harman kardon avr130 but at 100£s more it doesn't seem worth it? i have seen it on ebay for £240 from europe though. Does anyone know if the remote and buttons will be in a different language or will the language still be english?

although being interested for a few years this is my first big step into the AV world and am hoping to get it right!

14. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about the missions you mention but I would imagine the likes of B4 and Evo 3 are 2 of the best in their price range. Out and out bass performance isn't that important to me as I have a ruark log rhythm to provide the shudder. Was seriously considering MA b4 plus centre as I'm getting the MA BFX anyway, but Evos just got the vote as I was able to pick up a bargain evo centre for £92.

If I was you I'd get the best possible speakers you can stretch to. Receivers and amps are changing every few months whereas a decent set of speakers will last you a long time.