1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

budget dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by waz2004, Dec 16, 2004.

1. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i know, another post asking which dvd recorder to buy

well in this case i am tempted by pan e55. apart from recording tv programmes i plan to transfer vhs onto dvd. is pan e55 suitable for this?

2. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. For one off recordings DVD-R is just fine. If you plan on editing then DVD-RAM is fine too. If you plan to share with friends then DVD-R is fine but DVD-RAM might leave you stuck. I personally just went for a Pioneer DVR-220-S which is DVD-R and DVD-RW with basic edit and chase play (Playback and record at the same time). Only just got it and playing with the options. Need to get a DVD-RW to experiment with though because they didn't include one in the box so stuck until tomorrow.

I eventually figured out how to passthrough my Freeview RGB signal too (Set to L1 and put Pioneer in DVD mode. If you leave it in TV mode it just passes through composite. Yuk!) ;)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WAZ recording what sort of TV? Digital?analogue?
    And if you are "archiving" commercial VHS copy protection will stop you******
    also condier a VCR/S-VHS deck with TBC (time base correction for best archiving quality

4. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    will be used to record from ntl digital box and from tv standard channels

regarding copyright protection can't i use something called smart scart cable that has been mentioned in one of the posts. finding it expensive to buy kids vhs/dvd and watch them play it again and again and again till they wear out or get scratched. if i can make a copy they can do whatever they want.

5. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup! One of those scart's should work. But we do not condone such activity here ;)