1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget DVD recorder - good buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by waz2004, Sep 14, 2004.

1. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi I am a newbie here with a typical question a newbie asks - which is the best dvd recorder????

HOLD ON before you hit the back button hear the rest...

Have been recently made redundant. Plan to spent a few months chilling out. I have a stack of family movies on vhs tape. I plan to transfer then onto DVD.

My original plan was to buy a video capture card for the PC which enables me to link the VCR to the PC and transfer to DVD. However a decent board costs around £70.

While shopping at Sainsbury and looking at Richer sounds website you can purchase a DVD recorder from around £120. Are they any good for what i need?

I can then connect the VCR to the DVD recorder and record onto DVD. The DVD will then be inserted into the PC for editing.

Two models i have been looking at are Philips 610 and Liteon LVW5001B.

Anyone recommend the above or something else?

Thanks in advance.

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The Liteon is discussed in this thread on DVD Reviewer and the new owner seems pretty happy with it:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=211&Thread=315591&Type=1&Page=1

Someone says that it doesn't have RGB or S-Video inputs, but if you'll mainly be copying from a non-SVHS VCR that shouldn't worry you. You can always get a better machine when you get a new job!

The Philips is discussed in this other thread - they mostly talk about the difficulty of finding them, but there are several positive comments from satisfied owners:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=223&Thread=334763&Type=1

Have fun.

Regards

Nelviticus

3. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot recommend you any model but a cheap one would do very well for your purpose. Do browse the site for other's oipinions on various models.

I would not go for the PC route unles you want to produce professional looking DVD and have very expensive capture card and experience with software.

Even if you can afford it, I would advise against getting an expensive one. Why?
    1. The quality of your tapes do not demand high quality transfer.
    2. By the time you finish your loads of tapes (in a few months?) you can pretty well say goodbye to your recorder.
    DVD recorders at present (cheap or not) are prone to problems and malfunctions. Many owners need to return for service in the first few months of ownership. So make that a point that if you do need to take it back, you will not have hassle/expense from the shop/company where you buy it.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Sorry to hear that :rolleyes:

Not really. First and foremost you need to ensure you get a DVD recorder with an inbuilt Time Base Corrector. Models based on Philips reference designs (such as models from Mico, Yamada, Daewoo, Grundig, Goodmans) do not have TBCs and thus on elderly tapes you may well suffer from a distorted picture and/or slight lip sync issues.

Secondly when archiving from VHS you need to use fairly high bitrates. Although VHS is a low resolution source it is also a noisy analogue one. Thus to capture all the detail you need to use high bitrates: thus a model with Flexible Record is ideal as this would allow you to use a recording mode that matches the bitrate to the running time of your VHS tape.

I assume from your post you already have a DVD burner on your PC? If so my suggestion (if you can stretch the budget) is to go for a Panasonic E55 (if you have a DVD-RAM compatible DVD-ROM drive) or Pioneer 220 (if not). These machines both have TBCs, flexible record (or 32 recording modes in the Pioneer's case) and also allow full editting meaning you do not have to invest in a PC editting programme. You can then author to DVD-R/+R using (for example) this Guide.

The direct to PC route is a viable alternative to a DVD recorder provide you get a card capable of doing a good job at the analogue to digital conversion. I suggest posting on the Home Cinema PCs forum found near the bottom of the forums list at www.avforums.com

hi-tech-geek,

WHAT!?! No they don't. Philips models have had serious snags so most (informed) people steer clear of them. Other than that I would say over 95% of users have no problems whatsoever.

If you want to capture all the detail from a VCR transfer you need a decent MPEG encoder, you need a decent TBC and you need a relatively good machine.

5. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :eek: i thought it was going to be easy as cheese recording vhs onto dvd. But TBC etc etc has made this task pretty awkward.

I will post it in the different area recarding PC side

6. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is. If all you want to do is to transfer your old tapes into DVD using a DVD recorder (any DVD recorder).

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    hi-tech-geek - it matters considerably which DVD recorder you get for archiving from VHS. Without a TBC you can potentially get a distorted picture or lip sync issues. Without a high quality DAC your not going to capture all the detail of the original recording. Without Flexible Record you can't use the highest possible bitrate.

hi-tech-geek - perhaps you should do a little more research on DVD recording before you start offering advice?