Budget Dvd Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mattdyson7981, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Mattdyson7981

Mattdyson7981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY BUDGET DVD PLAYERS THAT ARE MULTIREGION AND PLAY VCD. MP3

I AM LOOKING AT THE FOLLOWING ANY REVIEWS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

CYBERHOME AD-L528
    KIIRO 838D
    MUSTEK V562
    MANHATTAN DVD 3000

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's your budget?

P.S. Typing entirely in capitals is considered as "shouting" ;)

3. Mattdyson7981

Mattdyson7981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am looking to spend about £100 was looking at the

cyberhome ad-l528
    yelo 800 dvd player (but cant find it anywhere)
    Manhattan dvd player

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Mattdyson7981

Mattdyson7981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i saved up the extra money what more do i get for it. What extra features

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, generally speaking, better picture and sound quality and better compatibility. Often, those really "cheap n nasty" budget players are the ones that stand the most chance of being incompatible with some disks and give inferior picture quality. You can still get MP3 and VCD playback and all the other things that you want but by paying that little bit more, you can get a cracking player that will give you really nice sound and pictures and won't frustrate you when some disks won't play.

7. Mattdyson7981

Mattdyson7981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what would you recommend

Toshiba SD220E ????

8. Mattdyson7981

Mattdyson7981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you think about the kiiro X5

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to make your own mind up! Search the forum for the models you like and see what others think about them. Also read the reviews on www.whatvideotv.com and try and have a look in store as well if you can.

I bought a Sony DVP NS300 for about £160 (including the multiregion mod) and am very happy with it. The latest version is DVP NS305.

Whatever you decide, you should buy it from a supplier that has already added the multiregion modification. If you don't, it will cost you more to get it done afterwards.

10. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got the Bush dvd 2009 for £120 (retails at £170) from woolies and am very pleased with it for a budget.

muli-region out the box

DD DTS

90% review by total dvd

but no CDR.

The choice is yours, there's loads to choose from, from £60-£70 upwards.

11. dogboy73

dogboy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to find out the region code hack for my sisters Sony DVP NS300. I thought it was already a multi region player that just needed the code to unlock it. Do you need a multi region mod to make it multi region or is it only neccesary for the new RCE DVD's?

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need a multi region mod, either a hardware mod or a special remote that you can hire which will make it multiregion.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry boss but mostly Sony,Toshiba,Panasonic and a couple of others are not hackable(ie remote hackable). Not all is lost though, if you are willing to spend about £30 to 40 quid you can have the player "chipped" by a number of firms, all you have to do is look in most of the mags available or just search the web. A vast majority of companies will replace your players warranty with there own. Its just up to you...

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony players can be made multi-region by the loan of a special remote from a multi-region firm. It's been the case for a while. There is no need for a hardware mod anymore, although you can go down that route instead of course.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Geezer I really didnt know that. I thought that the big end firms were hell bent on keepin stuff real rather than a lot of other firms buying stuff off the shelf. You know OEM and Market stuff, Mind take Denon stuff or Marantz Gear it is top gear but at the end of the day is it not the same stuff. I mean the electronics are the same but maybe the manufacturer is different. I'm not sure that take the Cyrus,Mission getup they are clearly the same company

16. dogboy73

dogboy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the special remote work? where can I buy/hire one?

Thanks for this info.

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45571

The above thread is a good starting place. Search for "sony multiregion remote" on the forum and you'll find a few more threads.

I personally have become attached to my hardware mod though :)

18. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a couple of MR Tosh 120e's for Xmas presents, worked out £90 each from RS.

Originally only wanted R2 at £80 each but as usual got to the shop, after reserving two beforehand, got the "we only stock MR at £100" excuse. "I see" I said, "so this JJ I spoke to was lying when he absolutely, positively reserved two R2 models?"

Got the manager to give me one at £80 and the other at £100.

As to performance, have not tried them yet, though I gather What TV and Video were impressed with the picture quality.

Phil

19. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As previously mentioned I would recommend the
    Tosh 220, this is only £119 and you can download the update to make it multiregion yourself.
    This is a superb player for £119

20. acs1

acs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the latest copy of What Hi-Fi they have reviews of sub £100 players

21. Demonshead

Demonshead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    m8,
    Amazon.co.uk are doing the Multi Region Pioneer 350 for £99 plus free postage. After some deliberation I bought one. TOP STUFF!! Plays VCD, MP3, DVD-r & DVD-rw. Solid build & superb picture & sound I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Demonshead :devil:

22. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I can only speak from experience with regards two of the above players. I've owned two Cyber home ADL 528. I got a replacement after a bad flash under warranty. The first ADL 528 I had was great, ran everything and I couldn't complain the replacement wasn't as good. The latest ADL528 firmware has a progressive scan option and the dvd player is based on a 83mhz risc processor. Its a lot of technology for the money but is pretty much thrown together. The actual picture is superb I think using RGB scart but pretty poor using s-video or composite. I've never seen what the quality is like from the component sockets.

I don't believe the cyberhome is that good at reading copied dvd media or my two weren't anyway.

What I would say was for the cyberhome is the massive range of features built in, great rgb picture, vcd/svcd compatibility, region hack and macrovison hack (only with latest firmware) and possibly progressive scan option.

The worst thing about this cyberhome is build quality in both components used and assembly. You often get a buzz from the headphone sockets, as previously stated the s-video and composite connections are a bit crap to say the least, they can be noisy and unreliable.

My brother has the Mustek and he's made no complaints about it. I actually got it for him online from ebuyer some time ago. Main complaint is the remote control is very directional so you have to aim the remote directly at the remote sensor. Picture is fine although I would say not quite as good as the cyberhome for rgb. However he's got it connected via s-video and its much cleaner than the cyberhome. Theres a region hack and also for some a macrovision hack but this didn't work on my brothers player and so I'm guessing it was removed from later firmwares. Its a great looking player and the dolphin picture on the menus looks very nice. Its the same as one of the acoustic solutions players sold by Richer Sounds. At the time when I bought from ebuyer it was £80 from them but £120 from Richer sounds.

Another player I would recommend although you might think I'm biased as I'm selling mine is the Sharp DV-740h. Its a jap branded model but made for them in china and based on a sampo model. Its got a improved psu section (higher safety standard). This model reads all media, mp3s, vcds, svcds no problem at all. Players that read DVD-r, DVD+r as well as everything else are still failry rare and the Sharp is one of the few. I've upgraded the firmware in mine so its now macrovison free completely and its also been made region free and fully rce compatible.

The best thing about the model is it does a brilliant job of converting ntsc to pal, more so than many other players especially the cyber home ADL 528. This is dead handy for copying us dvds to video tape.

The worst thing about the sharp is it only has a electrical digital socket no optical.

One other great thing about the sharp is the fact its fitted with twin scart sockets making it dead easy to work with other gear and the complete lack of macrovision means you can put it in the scart chain at any point you want and even connect it to a video so you can pipe dvd pictures through your aerial system etc. Also many tvs are slightly macrovision sensitive so being completely macrovision free improves contrast and stability.

So basically I would look out for a Sharp DV-740h it does everything you want, has a decent badge on the front and is built to a higher standard than many of the other chinese models yet still has the abundance of features of many chinese decks.

I personally wouldn't go the Toshiba and Pioneer route. While they may have a marginal improvement in picture quality you will lose out massively on versatility and to make them multiregion you normally have to fit chips internally meaning you no longer have a guarantee with the actual hardware company only the store you bought it from.

23. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I just got a mico diamante 3000 from sainsburys for £70.
    WOW,multi region from the box excellent picture,component video ,digital outputWould heartily recommend!!!!
    Plays mp3 etc check it out,
    Phil
    http://www.micoelectric.com/main_dvd.htm
    :D