Budget DVD Player For Christmas Present

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by silverpines, Nov 8, 2002.

1. silverpines

silverpines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to give my parents a DVD player for Christmas, to get them started in the wonderful world of Home Cinema. Although I would love to buy them a TAG DVD32R (I would love to be able to buy myself one as well!), unfortunately I suspect finances wouldn't even run to buying the remote for it!

Realistically, I am looking for any recommendations for the best budget model I can buy. I know many will recommend the Toshiba 220, but even £130 is pushing it a bit. The budget really needs to top out at £100 max. There is no need for multi-region, but if there is a handset hack then this would be a welcome bonus. In addition there is no need for it to be a current model, a discontinued line would do. The only thing that I really need it to be is new - it's not really very good form to give your folks a second hand item as a present:)

Any ideas?

2. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You could try and get hold of the Toshiba 110 or 120. Richer Sounds advertise these Multi Region for £99, or Region 2 only for £79 (I don't think there is a handset hack). I've seen the 110 in action, and it's very good. The only problem is finding a Richer Sounds shop that has one in stock.
    Failing that, this months What HiFi contains a review of 7 or 8 sub £100 DVD players sold through Supermarkets. From memory, most are awful, but I think there was an LG model that got 5 stars.