1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

budget DVD-A output into AV8

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by kevshed, Dec 13, 2004.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    perhaps some experience here could help me out.... looking for a cost effective way of enabling DVD-A in my setup.... option 1, is to replace my DV27 with a DV29.. but is an expensive option. Option 2 im considering, is to buy something like a Samsung DVD-HD945 DVD Player (which support DVD-A), run digital to my AV8... and let the processor do the decoding.

Not expecting to aquire a massive DVD-A library.. given its support as a format, so am leaning towards option 2. (which costs £95 vs £1200 approx cost to change for option 1)

question is.... am i likely to get half decent output from the Samsung player?Anyone tried a similar setup into an av8 ?

Thx
    Kev

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I guess as dvd-a has no direct digital path with Arcam you will be looking for the best quality digital to analogue conversion to be done before getting to the amp ... is that going to be achieved with a £95 player ??

just my tuppence ...

Jon

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    perhaps im missing something then...

i thought i could take a digital output from the DVD-A player... into 'any' digital input in the AV8. AV8 would then decode the bitstream, and do the D/A to the amp?

Am i wrong?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    With the exception of iLink & Denon Link DVD-A (& SACD) cannot be transfered over a digital cable. You will need to connect any DVD-A player via 6 analogue phono cables to the 5.1 analogue inputs on your AV8.
    All DVD-A disks contain a DD or DTS soundtrack that can obviously be transfered over a digital link, and this track can be played on any standard DVD player.

Why not get your DV27 upgraded to a DV27a that can play DVD-A disks. I think it will cost about £400, so not exactly cheap but will IMHO give better results than a cheap 'play anything' player.

Mark.

5. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    ok. thanks mark - makes sense - forgot about the protection.... that explains it. Maybe if santa is generous i'll treat myself.

Thanks all for the inputs... appreciated.

Kev

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Or... sell your DV27 £500 say on (EBay), and buy a spanking new DV27a if they are still available for £950. DVD-A with 5 year warranty on the player too.