Budget DIVX players Vs premium players for DVD playback?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wassap, May 1, 2005.

1. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Chaps been doing a bit of pondering and searching on the forums regarding Divx players.

Genral concensus seems to point towards the targa or the sammy/pioneer 575 units.

One thing i cant seem to guage is the dvd playback "quality" of the cheaper players, how are they, at the mo i have a old tosh sd210 which aint bad,but i fancy a little bit of an upgrade now, also i am planning to *ahem* start acquiring Divx files (mainly US shows) so divx is gonna be required!

Then comes an impending upgrade on the tv front, i think im gonna be looking at something HDTV ready, so a future proof dvd player would be handy!

So what do you reckon, premium or budget brands?

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The players that do divx playback all use the same 3 generic chips. Mediatek, Sigma, Zoran. Most the current crop use mediatek. I've seen a Cello DVD-8105, Pioneer 470, Targa DP-5100x, Kiss DP-1000. The first 3 use mediatek chips and I can not see any difference in the picture quality between them. The Kiss uses Sigma, again its equally as good for picture quality. Given the insides are generally the same, the quality won't very unless you buy a rubbish player with no scart RGB etc....

My Targa does more than my parents Pioneer, both do more than the Kiss. If you want HD divx playback you'll need to wait for the next generation machines such as the
    AVLinkPlayer2 (availble in the USA and Japan) and be prepared to pay the price.

IMO get a cheap divx player now, with progressive scan for your HDTV. Then in 1-2 years time when they are cheaper and better ebay your current player.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    There are also divx players based on a ESS chipset I believe but there may not be any current models based on them in the shops now.

I would also agree that there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference with a lot of mediatek based players with regard picture quality. The mediatek chips have so many embedded functions that there is almost nothing that can be different about playback. Even controlling the dvd drive now is done by the main dvd logic chip. Functions like SACD and DVD Audio are activated simply via the firmware and the same actual hardware is available in many dvd players that don't come with these features enabled.

Generally on my projector a Panasonic AE100 I can tell a lot of difference between dvd players but on my 28" widescreen Thomson I can not.

As a general rule I find the zoran based players to have better picture quality than mediatek players but not by much.

I've become a bit cynical about hardware reviews as I had a Toshiba 330 and while its picture was good, it wasn't that good and there were many issues with the player. When I played low bit rate hong kong dvds on it the Toshiba it was truly hopeless and yet a cheap Compacks DVD5000 from safeway gave a far superior picture.

The best picture I've ever seen from a dvd player is from my Kiss DP-450 via VGA but listen to some people and they say Kiss picture quality is terrible. I think individual units vary with regard picture quality and different display devices give different results with different dvd players. In the end the only way you can realy gauge picture quality exactly is trying out a dvd player on your actual home setup.

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,587
    I upgraded from a Tosh 330e to a Pio 575a and the difference in PQ on my 32" tv was like someone had removed a thin film of plastic from the screen. The difference in audio was like someone had snuck in and upgraded my amp and speakers while I wasn't looking!!! And about 10db of extra bass through the sub!

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Yet the Toshiba 330 was reviewed by both What Video and What Hifi as some sort of budget miracle and yet it seems many people have had a lot of issues with the player and haven't been that impressed with its performance.

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Opps forget about ESS chips !

7. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    it really depends on your display and the size of it. on a 28" tv there is not much difference to see. on a display 40" upwards you start to notice flaws and weaknesses in the picture.

8. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Atm i have a sony 42" rptv, which will be upgraded in the next few months!