1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Digicam for closeup work

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by smallangryboy, May 7, 2003.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'm buying a camera for my girlfriend, we're on a limited budget (£300), but ideally as she's using it primarily to photograph her work - Jewellery - we need it to generate a reasonably hi res image for print, yet be able to take good macro images of the jewellery, from say a range of between 5 - 10cm's distance

We have two shortlisted that match the criteria so far. Pentax Optio S and the Nikon Coolpix 4300

Wondered if anyone had any experience of these cameras or had any good alternatives to them ?

2. obrother

obrother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Got a 3mp casio exilim-z3, goes down to 6cm (might be the same lens as the Optio). Very small, light and easy to use. Also got a mini-tripod (flexible legs) from Jessops for about 7 quid which would probably help.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    SAB

How big will the prints be?

If no larger than 6x4 then you most probably dont need more than 2Mp.

Also you can trade megapixels for macro (ie if a camera does 10cm and 4MP its as good as a 5cm 2MP as all you need to do is resize.)

If you dont need large prints then you can get some very good cameras for the £200 way under budget.

If it were me I would most probably focus on getting the best quality lenses that I could for my budget to ensure that I dont lose detail from lenses that are compromised because of their size, and trade off resolution against macro capabilities.

4. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Problem is we want large format prints from a budget camera. She is thinking of doing her own publicity, so could be as big as A4.

Photoshop does a good job of reinterpolating the image when you scale something up to say double it's size - so I guess an image of around 2048 x 1600.

Most important is good image colour, contrast and the ability to get tight into the subject.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So a 4 mega pixel looks like a starting point.

Im not sure if you can still get them but Kodak did a DC4900 4Mp decent lens for about £250.

Not a small camera, but that means less compromises on the lens!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have a look at the Kodak LS443 £250-280 online 4.1MP comes with docking station, never blown a photo to A4 so not sure how it would fair but a good camera for the money IMHO.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I was looking for a camera Jessops had photoprints at various resolutions and sizes. From what I remember 2MP at A4 was ok but you could tell it was dgitised on close scrutiny. 4Mp was IMHO very hard to tell from a 35mm photo. In fact the lack of film grain at A4 was the thing that made it clear it was a digital pic.

That Dx4900 is still available at 250 but just looked on pricerunner and there are loads of good cameras at 3MP at that price. Like I said before focus on lens quality over size. Compact lenses will compromise on detail and colour (in my opinion that is).

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have a look here,
    http://uk.pricerunner.com/photography/digital-cameras/124392/pricesThe Kodak can also take an additional Close up lens,
    http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=SFN
    Might need this
    http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2DFT
    Amazon have the LS443 for £279.99 delivered.
    http://uk.pricerunner.com/photography/digital-cameras/124392/details
    My mate has one just for general use and with a memory card 128MB i think it will take 160 good quality pics at a go.
    So have a look. reallly easy to use with the docking station as well. So i assume as it is for her business that you wont be paying vat on it then!!!!!!
    Lucky Git!!!!

10. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I used to work in the photography trade and Nikon and Ricoh had the best close up modes as standard at the time (just over a year ago). Best bet is to book a demo at your local Jessops but call their head office digital support line first. Looks like you'll need a 2-3 megapixel camera but the lens will be far more important than the resolution. Also lighting will be critical when you actually take the photos you want but you'll need to experiment with what lighting (natural light may be best) you've got.