Budget DAC + Amp for Jamo S803?

MartinCooper

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a newbie music enthusiast from Barcelona.

I was looking to build my first system and bought a pair of speakers Jamo S803 (80W / 160W, 8 Ohm). Which budget-friendly amp/DAC (¿integrated?) or amp + DAC (separated) would you recommend for those speakers?

I'd like to use them with my laptop, Bluetooth would be a +.

Thank you!

Does the Marantz PM6007 fit your idea of budget. It has 3 digital inputs but doesn't include USB,

If you wanted separate components I'd suggest maybe looking at Topping or Ifi for a suitable DAC

Thank you for your fast reply! Here the Marantz PM6007 cost around 470€ new and I can't find any used unit. But I could do the effort if you think it's worth it.

Would that be better than let's say an SMSL DA-9 (used 170€) + Topping E30 (used 100€)?

Thank you again!

Does the Marantz PM6007 fit your idea of budget. It has 3 digital inputs but doesn't include USB,

If you wanted separate components I'd suggest maybe looking at Topping or Ifi for a suitable DAC

Thank you for your fast reply! Here the Marantz PM6007 cost around 470€ new and I can't find any used unit. But I could do the effort if you think it's worth it.

Would that be better than let's say an SMSL DA-9 (used 170€) + Topping E30 (used 100€)?

Thank you again!
I use a Topping MX5 in my office, and I like it a lot. Very decent amplifier, which won't break a bank.

Laptops tend to only have HDMI which means you need a way to get optique or coax out (a tv can do this). There's also the headphone socket but it would have to be configured for an amplifier, I'm no expert as I don't like laptops and only use my daughters in emergencies). There are surely work arounds for which others could help you (for example USB).
The TANGENT AMPSTER BT II might do you but it has limited but interesting inputs. 1 RCA, 1 optical, 1 mini jack and USB (though I can not tell you the utility of that) What is interesting is it has a sub out for entry level and the addition of a cheapo sub would be of interest with your speakers.

Laptops tend to only have HDMI which means you need a way to get optique or coax out (a tv can do this). There's also the headphone socket but it would have to be configured for an amplifier, I'm no expert as I don't like laptops and only use my daughters in emergencies). There are surely work arounds for which others could help you (for example USB).
The TANGENT AMPSTER BT II might do you but it has limited but interesting inputs. 1 RCA, 1 optical, 1 mini jack and USB (though I can not tell you the utility of that) What is interesting is it has a sub out for entry level and the addition of a cheapo sub would be of interest with your speakers.
I would say that the most popular audio output from laptops is a USB if you have any spare ones. I think every modern DAC has a USB input. Also, USB inputs provide the highest resolution for incoming signals.
Bluetooth is also a very reasonable solution, as all laptops have it.

If you can stretch to these two You’ll get the best from your speakers.

Or this dac...

Both are excellent indeed.
Thank you for mentioning our product! Alternatively, with slightly worse performance but no cables required the Zen Blue v2 may be an option worth considering.

Thank you! I was wondering if the zen dac and the zen air dac would sound the same and there is only difference in features. The air dac is 99€ in my country and the zen dac v2 is 199€

Also betwenn the Zen Air Blue (99€) and the Zen Blue v1 is there any difference? Here it's 99€ for the air and 129€ for the Blue v1.
Thank you for mentioning our product! Alternatively, with slightly worse performance but no cables required the Zen Blue v2 may be an option worth considering.

I use a Denon DRA 800 - h.
Good amp, Has Bluetooth, HDMI and the power you’re looking for. Maybe a bit large for a pc/desktop set up though but on paper, would probably be a good match for the S 803.

Also betwenn the Zen Air Blue (99€) and the Zen Blue v1 is there any difference? Here it's 99€ for the air and 129€ for the Blue v1.
The difference between the Zen DAC and the Zen Air DAC soundwise is that Zen DAC has more resolution and better detail than Air DAC. It's a noticeable difference, but nothing huge.

The difference between Zen Air Blue and Zen Blue is small and comes down to the enclosure, digital outputs and balanced outputs.

Thank you! I was wondering if the zen dac and the zen air dac would sound the same and there is only difference in features. The air dac is 99€ in my country and the zen dac v2 is 199€

For half the price I’d buy the Air dac. It may not be quite as good, as mentioned in post 13, but it is easily good enough for your hifi.

For any extra detail from the more expensive dac, you’d likely need a speaker and amp upgrade.

Having said all that, if you can afford the extra hundred dollars then it’s never a poor idea to get the best you can afford.

For half the price I’d buy the Air dac. It may not be quite as good, as mentioned in post 13, but it is easily good enough for your hifi.

For any extra detail from the more expensive dac, you’d likely need a speaker and amp upgrade.

Having said all that, if you can afford the extra hundred dollars then it’s never a poor idea to get the best you can afford.
My thoughts exactly. I would only add one point: if you plan on upgrading your HiFi system in the future, then from the investment perspective it's better to go with the Zen DAC.

Thank you again!
This combo would sound bright as hell if that is what u r after. I am gonna recommend aiyima t9 or douk audio st-01. Thank me later. Or aiyima a08. For wider soundstage and instrument seperation and power. But t9 has its sweet, warm sound. Good speaker cables shine t9 like a diamond.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom