Budget Constrained - Local Dimming LCD 65Inch or 55 OLED?

KongKing

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help and advice, I am buying a new tv as I am having my front room remodelled. I currently have a LG Nano 47 inch which was the top end model in 2012 - And is Full HD and direct back light which I've been really pleased with and wouldn't change unless I was doing the work. (I have never noticed blooming while watching)

The TV is going to be set into a wall so thinkness is not an issue.
Room will not be totally dark when watching as daytime and evening watching.
Mainly streaming and Freeview HD content
Sound I have a Sonos Playbar which will stay so sound of set I am not bothered about.
I am budget constrained and have identified my best options as either:

a top end LG OLED
LG OLED55CX6LA 55" (£1399.00)
Or

The Lower end LG OLED
LG OLED65BX6LB (£1599.00)
or the
Direct back light Sony

Sony BRAVIA KD65XH9505BU (£1499.00)
or Sony Bravia KD-65XH9005 (£1199.00)

Group guidance needed please!!!

My philospophy is to always get the best you can, but equally always the best largest you can. If you aren't overly fussed about the latest onboard tech the BX is a very good OLED but the CX is clearly better but smaller. I own the 65 XH9505 and love it, probably the closest you can get to OLED in this bracket of LCD panels. The black levels, limited blooming and HDR performance are superb. The XH9005 is still a good set but it's not in the same league as the others.

My philospophy is to always get the best you can, but equally always the best largest you can. If you aren't overly fussed about the latest onboard tech the BX is a very good OLED but the CX is clearly better but smaller. I own the 65 XH9505 and love it, probably the closest you can get to OLED in this bracket of LCD panels. The black levels, limited blooming and HDR performance are superb. The XH9005 is still a good set but it's not in the same league as the others.

Thanks, I have been leaning toward the 65 XH9505 and the reviews are excellent. In terms of screen size, future proof, feature set etc it looks great on Paper. only challenge is with lockdown I now can't see one before purchase!!! and I need it next week for my builder to install it!

Thanks, I have been leaning toward the 65 XH9505 and the reviews are excellent. In terms of screen size, future proof, feature set etc it looks great on Paper. only challenge is with lockdown I now can't see one before purchase!!! and I need it next week for my builder to install it!

Picking a television is a very individual thing. I'm quite picky but due to buying it during the last lockdown didn't see on in the flesh but really do rate the XH9505. The Samsung Q90/95's are equal but for me the lack of DV and the weaker motion and more unnatural colours and crushed blacks on Samsung sets swayed me to the Sony and I'm very happy.

Picking a television is a very individual thing. I'm quite picky but due to buying it during the last lockdown didn't see on in the flesh but really do rate the XH9505. The Samsung Q90/95's are equal but for me the lack of DV and the weaker motion and more unnatural colours and crushed blacks on Samsung sets swayed me to the Sony and I'm very happy.

Thank you! great to know - I've always loved LG set so this would be a real departure for me. But great to know you're really happy with it.

I wouldn't waste your time trying to view one anyway to be honest. You can't draw proper conclusions until you own the TV.

Since you mentioned your room will be dark I'd definitely be considering an OLED. If you want the better picture processing of the CX instead of the BX, you could wait for the CX's price to come down.

The difference between them is quite small though, the BX has an older processor which won't upscale quite as well, it also doesn't handle gradients of one colour to the next as smoothly, has a little less brightness in HDR and less ram for the smart system. It's certainly a good saving that you make over the CX though.

With Black Friday round the corner hopefully we will see some good discounts.

As for the Sony XH9505, its about as good as you can get from an LCD TV with local dimming performance without breaking the bank. It will be great in a dark room, but its still an LCD TV so it won't be perfect like an OLED will. The advantage especially at 65" is its cheaper than OLEDs, but with the BX being reduced now, that gap closes somewhat now making it worse value for money.

If I was buying I'd say I'd pay at most 1200 for the XH9505.

The XH9005 is not a worthy consideration unless you aren't going to use HDR material with the TV. Its too dim for an LCD TV.

I wouldn't waste your time trying to view one anyway to be honest. You can't draw proper conclusions until you own the TV.

Since you mentioned your room will be dark I'd definitely be considering an OLED. If you want the better picture processing of the CX instead of the BX, you could wait for the CX's price to come down.

The difference between them is quite small though, the BX has an older processor which won't upscale quite as well, it also doesn't handle gradients of one colour to the next as smoothly, has a little less brightness in HDR and less ram for the smart system. It's certainly a good saving that you make over the CX though.

With Black Friday round the corner hopefully we will see some good discounts.

As for the Sony XH9505, its about as good as you can get from an LCD TV with local dimming performance without breaking the bank. It will be great in a dark room, but its still an LCD TV so it won't be perfect like an OLED will. The advantage especially at 65" is its cheaper than OLEDs, but with the BX being reduced now, that gap closes somewhat now making it worse value for money.

If I was buying I'd say I'd pay at most 1200 for the XH9505.

The XH9005 is not a worthy consideration unless you aren't going to use HDR material with the TV. Its too dim for an LCD TV.

My builders going to put it in and make the surround next week so I can't wait for the price unfortunately

My builders going to put it in and make the surround next week so I can't wait for the price unfortunately

Seems the 65XH95 is already being sold for less than £1300!! I'd be calling Richer Sounds for a pricematch.

HI Guys,

Last question here what is the viewing angles like on the Sony XH9505?

Ha! your thread continues where mine sort of concluded. Same dilemma 55" OLED or go with 65" LCD. 65" OLED feels the best way to go but currently out of my budget. I like LCD like the Sony above, but my heart is set on OLED.

My solution is to wait for my Chrismas bonus then perhaps pick something up early next year (must be JL for their warranty) . Even though Christmas is the best time to have a new telly in the house...

This post will not help you an iota with your decision, I know 😅 good luck

HI Guys,

Last question here what is the viewing angles like on the Sony XH9505?
If 55" and higher its viewing angles are above average, but not fantastic. You can check the results by looking at the tests on rtings.com for the X950H.
49" TV doesn't have the wide viewing angle filter like the larger models do.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom