Question Budget conscious Power amp(s) for Mordaunt Short Performance 6

barwell1992

Hi all,

In short I’m looking for a well priced power amp or amps to run my new Morduant short Performance 6 front speakers, the speakers are capable of 3 way amping/wiring.

Currently ive got the speakers passive Bi-amped using the amps in my Denon AVR, as the rest of my 5.1 system is in storage due to imminent house move it doesn’t actually sound that bad but with the rest of the system also running from the denon it does obviously struggle, once I move house the system will eventually grow over the year to become a 5.2.4 setup.

My main uses are tv/film and music (70/30 split) film is supplied either by streaming service or UHD player, music is by Tidal over air play although that might change to a wired setup.

System Spec:
Denon AVR-x4300h (11.2 pre outs, 9x 125w @8ohm )
Morduant Short Performance 6 Fronts
Morduant Short Mezzo 5 center
Morduant short Mezzo 1 Rears (might change)
BK mono+ sub.
Qed Anniversary XT Bi-wire speaker cable.
Cambridge Audio CXUHD Transport.
Audio Quest Pearl HDMI’s

Must haves:
It/they must be able to turn on and off with the denon even if it’s by some form of triggered power bank (or the wife won’t be happy)

Budget wise I don’t really know but i’d rather spend £100’s not £1000’s and possibly be able to add more at a later date for center channel etc.

I don’t really have a space constraint as I’m ripping the living room out of the new house.

Advice very welcome!

Thanks,
Dan

barwell1992

Gori11a

Hi all,

In short I’m looking for a well priced power amp or amps to run my new Morduant short Performance 6 front speakers, the speakers are capable of 3 way amping/wiring.

Currently ive got the speakers passive Bi-amped using the amps in my Denon AVR, as the rest of my 5.1 system is in storage due to imminent house move it doesn’t actually sound that bad but with the rest of the system also running from the denon it does obviously struggle, once I move house the system will eventually grow over the year to become a 5.2.4 setup.

My main uses are tv/film and music (70/30 split) film is supplied either by streaming service or UHD player, music is by Tidal over air play although that might change to a wired setup.

System Spec:
Denon AVR-x4300h (11.2 pre outs, 9x 125w @8ohm )
Morduant Short Performance 6 Fronts
Morduant Short Mezzo 5 center
Morduant short Mezzo 1 Rears (might change)
BK mono+ sub.
Qed Anniversary XT Bi-wire speaker cable.
Cambridge Audio CXUHD Transport.
Audio Quest Pearl HDMI’s

Must haves:
It/they must be able to turn on and off with the denon even if it’s by some form of triggered power bank (or the wife won’t be happy)

Budget wise I don’t really know but i’d rather spend £100’s not £1000’s and possibly be able to add more at a later date for center channel etc.

I don’t really have a space constraint as I’m ripping the living room out of the new house.

Advice very welcome!

Thanks,
Dan
Similar situation to you as also moving very soon and adding Atmos channels to a Denon 4400h.
In preparation for this I was thinking about removing some of the strain from the Denon with a power amp. I run with a pair of Kef350s and a 650c up front and 150s back.
Unable to drop a grand on a five channel power amp I went for this at £250 PA150 - Power Amplifier 150
I have been using it for nearly a week now and impressed so far, I can't really tell it apart from the Denon sound wise. It reliably turns on when it senses a signal and hasn't yet turned off on quiet parts of TV and films. Definitely looks better than some of the fugly studio amps (*cough* Behringer).
It's also bridgeable to give 300w mono so may add another just for center channel.

So that's my budget offering,
Danny

barwell1992

Similar situation to you as also moving very soon and adding Atmos channels to a Denon 4400h.
In preparation for this I was thinking about removing some of the strain from the Denon with a power amp. I run with a pair of Kef350s and a 650c up front and 150s back.
Unable to drop a grand on a five channel power amp I went for this at £250 PA150 - Power Amplifier 150
I have been using it for nearly a week now and impressed so far, I can't really tell it apart from the Denon sound wise. It reliably turns on when it senses a signal and hasn't yet turned off on quiet parts of TV and films. Definitely looks better than some of the fugly studio amps (*cough* Behringer).
It's also bridgeable to give 300w mono so may add another just for center channel.

So that's my budget offering,
Danny
Hi Danny,

hmm interesting, i've looked that their stuff previously, good price point. I'd be interested to know how it compares to the Nords as i assume its a class D amp like they are.

Currently I've decided I'm trying to build to many systems at once, so I'm going to merge the systems for now and use the power amp from my Hifi system and run a switch allowing me to beresford TC-7240 switch between my Stereo pre-amp and AV pre-amp, also going to make a 12v trigger for the Hifi power amp as its a big old Sony TA-n55es and doesn't have a 12v trigger .

This will give me time to save for a 3 channel Nord or similar to power the 3 front channels, and a smaller 6 channel amp for the surrounds and Atmos.

Best option at the moment.

Gori11a

That does sound like you have a lot going on lol.
Couldn find any reviews for the PA150 anywhere so had to give it a go. Yes class D.
It just takes whatever the Denon gives it and makes it louder. If anything at all I would say that it sounds less warm than when through the 4400h.
Maybe you would notice more with better sorcess though.
Danny

barwell1992

Yeah built a Turntable/hifi system then ended up buying the mordaunts, now decided I need more power for them :facepalm:

What sources are you feeding the Denon? I’ve got a lot of UHD blu-rays/normal Blu-rays so it tends to be decent quality film audio fed into the amp or Tidal Hifi quality over air play. I will look to move all music over to the Rotel with a WiFi/AirPlay receiver of some description.

Not a lot of kit out due to moving house.
831E260F-3784-40D9-9118-5693CA089AE8.jpeg

TT setup with the old school Rotel and Sony power amp. (Excuse the mess just oiled the bearing on the TT)
F395A4EE-2488-4190-8DC0-165101911F4A.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom