Budget Concious Audio setup - 4 choices

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cottlad, Nov 27, 2010.

1. cottlad

cottlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if multi-threading but rather than asking dumb questions i'm now in a position to make a choice. I have 4 options to choose from within my budget. I don't mind paying for the most expensive option as long as the performance is equally better.

Currently have standard DVD, Sky HD, Wii. I may add a bluray or PS3 in the near future but this depends on whatever i choose below:

1. Samsung HTBD 1220 Bluray player with 2.1 - £230
    Samsung HTBD1220 | 2.1 Blu-ray Package System with HDMI inc. Speakers | Richer Sounds
    So, does the player have an inbuilt amp here or would i still need an amp?
    Total £230

2. Sony AV Receiver - £100
    Sony STRDH500 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds
    With Wharfdale Diamond9 Speakers - £60
    Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds
    Total £160

3. Amplifier - £70 to £150 various models
    With same Wharfale speakers - £60
    Total £130 to £210
    If this option, any amp advice?

4. ONKYO Digi Surround Sound System - £240
    Onkyo HTX22HDX Black | New Model - Digital Surround System | Richer Sounds
    Total £240

I'm obviously not looking for supreme quality as you can see by my budget. Just looking for something that will improve on current TV speakers. Is there an advantage between amp and AVr?

Any advice more than welcomed, cheers

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    The samsung is an all in one system with the amp in the DVD player. The problem with these is limited connectivity and poor sound quality. They are also expensive to upgrade or replace since you have to buy everything all over again.
    The Sony 500 does not do audio over HDMI nor HD decoding hence will not be the best choice for a bluray player or PS3.
    Depends on what the other recievers are. What you want is audio over HDMI as a minimum but if you can get HD decoding as well then all the better.
    The Onkyo 22HTX is a 2.1 system that can be expanded to 5.1 with the addition of an extra speaker package. It has HD decoding and a fair bit of connectivity. The original HD system did have issues with the sub making a noise but not sure if this is still an issue with the new one but would be worth a check.

My personal preference would be for option 3 as long as the reciever does audio over HDMI and HD decoding. If not then option 4 would be the one.

3. cottlad

cottlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much PSM. I'm visiting RicherSounds 2moro so will ask which amp is HD. If there isn't one suitable i'll go with option 4. Feels good to finally have this Audio monkey off my back! :D

Thanks again

4. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    For option 3, if they have any left, the Sony H800 would be the best option. It does HD audio decoding and will work well with the Wharfdale speakers

Sony STRDH800 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

The Sony 510 does HD audio over HDMI (not decoding of HD audio), so you'd need to ensure any BR player you get decodes all the HD audio formats and send the audio as LPCM. Most do but some don't. The PS3 does.

Sony STRDH510 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

5. cottlad

cottlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dick.
    You think either/both of these better than option 4?

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    I would go for either of the 800 or 510 over option 4. Between the 2 the 800 would be the best option in terms of sound quality. If going to Richer Sounds make sure they do not try to push Onkyo recievers on you. They have had a bit of a reputation of doing this recently so just stick to your guns on what you want.

7. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    It depends. Are you planning on just having a 2.0 system or are you going to be adding the rest of the speakers for a 5.1 setup later?

The Onkyo in option 4 will give you the full 5.1 for just another £100. It will cost more to turn the sony amp and wharfdale speakers into 5.1, but it will sound better when you do.

8. cottlad

cottlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just 2.0 or 2.1 for the forseeable.
    I was lured towards option 4 with the following speel: 'Used as is, the Onkyo uses advanced technology to playback a digital 5.1 signal in 2.1 mode. That's to say that you only need the left, right and subwoofer speakers to produce an effective and spacious surround sound effect.'

I just wondered how good this actually was quality-wise. If i'm going to get just as good or better quality with an HD AV receiver then i'm happy with that

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    A HD reciever will do this downmixing just as well if not better than the Onkyo. That is really just a bit of marketing speel to make it sound good. All AVRs will process a 5.1 signal and output as a 2.0 or 2.1 sound.

10. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    The Onkyo system has the advantage of a sub, but the whrfdale diamond 9.0 speakers will sound better than the speakers with the Onkyo system. To add a separate sub to the system will cost around £100 minimum. But it's quite possible that the sony amp and diamond 9.0s with the sony amp will sound better without a sub than the Onkyo system with a sub.

If you can, try to talk them into demoing both and see which spunds best. If you can't demo, I'm not saying this is the right decision, but I'd personally go for the sony amp and diamond 9.0s