budget centre and sub?

adox

Ex Member
Reaction score
i am looking to buy a budget sub and centre speaker to go with my current set up.
i currently have a marantz sr 4300 receiver, mission m73 fronts and mission m70 rears.
i want to keep the centre, mission also, for obvious reasons.
i am on a tight budget and have been recommended the following by rs dublin:
centre speaker = mission 77c1 200 euro(the only mission they have in stock at this price range)
sub = eltax a10 200 euro.
any thought on these? i am more worried about the sub than the centre to be honest, as am very wary of budget subs due to opinions posted on this site.
another alternative for the sub but at a higher price (about 100 euro dearer) is the paradign pdr10.
any opinions on the speakers would be greatly appreciated especially the subs.

thanks alot

I rather like the sony sa-wm40, not the usual sony experience, its got no aesthetic appeal whatsoever, but sounds rather good for the price.

Take a look at this thread, I wrote in more detail about it: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53901

Stuffing it with polyfil(polyester lining material, not the stuff for filling holes in walls :) ) has had quite an effect on it, less boomy, and seems to have a slighly flatter response.

Alex

Don't waste your money on the Eltax sub as it would be better and cheaper to stick an old car speaker in an oil drum (©Lex)

The Paradigm subs are much better and although I don't know what these euros are that you mention, I am sure that the extra, in real money, will be worth while.

A good sub will enhance the home cinema experience no end but a poor one will ruin it.

Originally posted by amordue
Stuffing it with polyfil(polyester lining material, not the stuff for filling holes in walls :) ) has had quite an effect on it, less boomy, and seems to have a slighly flatter response.

And will you fill your HTPC with water :D

Originally posted by Ian J
And will you fill your HTPC with water :D

No, although I have been tempted sometimes, argh why is there not a software DVD player that does everything? PowerDVD 'pulses', as does WinDVD, NVDVD doesnt pulse but its pans aren't as smooth and it is rather sharp (although using with an nvidia card would probably help)

Alex

Originally posted by Ian J
Don't waste your money on the Eltax sub as it would be better and cheaper to stick an old car speaker in an oil drum (©Lex)

The Paradigm subs are much better and although I don't know what these euros are that you mention, I am sure that the extra, in real money, will be worth while.

A good sub will enhance the home cinema experience no end but a poor one will ruin it.

yeah, it was only afterwards when i ran a search on this site that i realised what a big mistake buying the eltax would be. i have just sold a sony pascal set of speakers and the sub was dreadful, all boom boom and no real punch.
unfortunatly rs dublin don`t do the paradigm subs anymore(even though they have them on their site)so i might buy online.
i`m not going to keep throwing names at you, but i have one more to ask about that is inexpensive. it`s a kef psw 1000. it is within my budget,so should i try it or would i be wasting my money? of course i would like to spend more and buy a decent sub, but i have to comprimise, as the other half has other idea`s for our money!!
thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom